× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting/Mounting USB Flash Drive formated with XFS file system to the Router (ax12 rax120)

tk3000
Aspirant

Connecting/Mounting USB Flash Drive formated with XFS file system to the Router (ax12 rax120)

Hello Folks,

I have Nighthawk AX12 RAX12v2. USB port have been used to share drives in the network, typically usb flash drives formated with vfat/fat32 or exfat are used (I believe I have used one formated with ntfs). Due to be in mostly a linux environment, I would need to use usb flash drives formated with XFL file system. Once a 256GB Samsung flash drive (usb 3.1) was connected to the router’s usb port nothing happens in the interface (ReadySHARE Storage section). Also I could not see anything while inquiring the router for smb shares via the command line of a linux machine (via “#smbclient -L $IP_OF_ROUTER”).

Is that a limitation of the router’s firmware? Could that feature (mount XFS file systems) be added?

On a side note, could that router recognize a usb flash driver formated with ext2/ext3/ext4 file systems?

Message 1 of 4
tk3000
Aspirant

Re: Connecting/Mounting USB Flash Drive formated with XFS file system to the Router (ax12 rav12)

An addendum to the initial post:

In the logs one can only see the event related to usb flash drive removal , but no event shows on when it is inserted in the usb port (either port 1 or 2).

[USB device detached] The USB device (sda1) is removed from router, Thursday, August 24, 2023 03:14:22

Also, I want to the “advance setup” and nothing seems to make the router either recognize and/or mount the usb flash drive. By the way, these are good quality and reputable brand usb flash drives.

Message 2 of 4
tk3000
Aspirant

Re: Connecting/Mounting USB Flash Drive formated with XFS file system to the Router (ax12 rav12)

Never mind, I figured out the nature of the issue. A basic configuration thing on the router.

Message 3 of 4
tk3000
Aspirant

Note: The post above starting with "Never mind" was a mistake. I have requested to be removed but it wasn't removed. The issue is pending.

Also, it seems that the router have a hard time identify any USB flash drive that was formatted with linux formatting tools (mkfs). The linux formatting tools follows the standards and are disks formated with mkfs using file systems of the type vfat/fat32, exfat, and ntfs are recognized by any windows machine, so the fact that it can not be recognized by this router is really odd. Moreover, partitions formated with XFS file system simply are not recognized by the router either.

It seems that the router likely uses some small customized version of linux and the fact that it can not recognize disks formatted with a linux tool is ludicrous.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7