× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Gaming - Xfinity Modem/Nighthawk Router

iFen25
Aspirant

Gaming - Xfinity Modem/Nighthawk Router

I have had trouble with lag/ping spikes on my Xbox since moving into my current home about 1 year ago. About 4 months ago I purchased a Nighthawk router and the problem seems to be better but still not good. I have a Comcast gateway with Nighthawk X6 R8000 router. The gateway is in bridge mode with ethernet wired to the router. Testing network connection on the Xbox shows the up/down speeds are high, but packet loss and signal strength leave some to be desired. Packet loss goes anywhere from 2-9% and signal strength is at 80-85%. Ping is ~40ms. Disclaimer....the Xbox is not near the router, however I have moved the console 3 feet from the router to get 100% signal strength as a test but still have packet loss and lag. In my old house I was hardwired and all was good. Before that I had port forwarded, but that was with a combo gateway. Now that I have a separate modem and router, I have been reading up on it and the networking seems to be complicated when multiple devices are involved.

I do not have a networking background. Acronyms like WAN, LAN, MAC, DHCP, DNS are just letters to me....which means I can follow step-by-step instructions for my exact scenario if I could find one, but I've had no luck in that and don't know enough to be confident that I'm not going to really mess up my home network. Any advice is appreciated!

TL;DR - I am trying to make sure my network setup is optimal for Xbox online gaming, but I am networking illiterate. Looking for help in minimizing ping and packet loss.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Gaming - Xfinity Modem/Nighthawk Router

Which xfinity gateway are you using? (model number)

Do you get the packet loss/issues if you're hardwired into the router? Since you've moved it 3 ft away?

What firmware is on the R8000?

Message 2 of 8
iFen25
Aspirant

I have the Xfinity XB3 (DPC3941T). 

When hardwired I do not get packet loss or have any latency issues. I do get packet loss and latency when on Wifi even when only 3 feet from the router.

The router Firmware is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

Message 3 of 8
iFen25
Aspirant

Scratch that, I misread your reply. I have only hardwired into the modem. I have not attempted to hardwire into the router but will try that next and report back.

Message 4 of 8
iFen25
Aspirant

I confirmed that I do experience packet loss when hardwired into the router, but not when hardwired into the modem. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

To start off with, the DPC3941T is a modem/router combo device. 

Do you have it in bridge mode? (if it has a bridge mode)

Otherwise you're in a double nat which can cause issues. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

you can either place the xfinity device in bridge mode or the netgear device in AP mode. (access point)

Message 6 of 8
iFen25
Aspirant

I do have it in bridge mode, which I activated when setting up the router.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Something to try? not all bridge mode's are implemented the same or even properly.

Try putting the xfinity back in router mode, disable its wifi, and put the netgear in access point mode

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7