× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with RAX78 in bridge mode

JL916
Aspirant

Help with RAX78 in bridge mode

Hi,

I just recently purchased AX8 Nighthawk router and I am having some issues configuring router in bridge mode.  Here's a little background on my current setup.  I live in a rural part of town and the only internet access that I currently have is through a mobile hotspot.  I had an older router that I had used in bridge mode to broadcast my signal throughout my house, but that router no longer works for me.  With the AX8, I was able to set it up in bridge mode and connect it to my hotspot, but for some reason, the AX8 is using the same network SSID as my hotspot.  All of the options available in the configuration to change network settings are all grayed out and not accessible.  I am currently connected to the AX8 router via Ethernet to rule out any wireless issues, but as of now, I cannot perform any kind of administration with my AX8 router.  My mobile hotspot only supports a limited number of connections and I noticed that when I connect to the WIFI network, it takes up a connection on the hotspot and it is listed in the AX8 configuration screen under 'Attached Devices'.  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or if I am taking the wrong approach in setting up my wireless network?

Thanks,

James

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Help with RAX78 in bridge mode

You could try a wireless repeater. 

Or there's been a few posts on reddit about making that hotspot work with routers. 

Inseego Mifi 8000 USB HUB / ethernet / router connection possible? : Calyx (reddit.com)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Bridge mode means different things for different manufacturers. (which it shouldn't but does) 

For netgear bridge mode uses the wireless on the router to directly connect to the hotspot. it doesn't rebroadcast like a repeater/extender. It simply connects and then allows you to hardwire into the RAX and use its ethernet. 

If your hotspot has an ethernet port, try hardwiring the RAX into the hotspot and putting the RAX in access point mode. 

what hotspot is it?

Message 2 of 5
JL916
Aspirant

Thanks for the response Plemans.  I have the Inseego Mifi 8000 and it does not have an ethernet port, just a USB-C port that it uses for a power supply.  It's starting to seem that the RAX will not work out in my setup.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You could try a wireless repeater. 

Or there's been a few posts on reddit about making that hotspot work with routers. 

Inseego Mifi 8000 USB HUB / ethernet / router connection possible? : Calyx (reddit.com)

Message 4 of 5
JL916
Aspirant

I saw the post earlier and was hoping that the AX would work for me, but I think I will follow the suggestions from the folks on the Reddit thread and use the same setup they used.  Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7