× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to connect RAX50 router directly to the ONT box?

Drk83
Aspirant

Is it possible to connect RAX50 router directly to the ONT box?

Hi guys,

You know we have a law that ISPs cannot force the clients to rent their gateways anymore.

I want to replace my ISP rented router (Arris BGW210-700) with AX50 router. My service is Optic Fiber with an ONT box installed already. 

Currently the Arris gateway is connected to ONT via a yellow LAN cable. It has a red port with ONT label which looks exctly like LAN port and reads ONT.  

BGW210backColor-2be0d6fc-50e7-49c5-94b1-4fc8bca4d262-1681843832.png

This is ATT multipurpose gateway that supports DSL users as well. I am not using DSL service. So I belive only the router part of the device is active and I should be able to put any router in that place.

Can I connect Netgear AX50 router using the same LAN cable ONT box to "Internet" port of the router? Or do I need another adapter?

Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: Is it possible to connect RAX50 router directly to the ONT box?

> You know we have a law [...]

I do?  "we"?

> I want to replace my ISP rented router (Arris BGW210-700) with AX50
> router. [...]

"RAX50"?

> Can I connect Netgear AX50 router using the same LAN cable ONT box to
> "Internet" port of the router? [...]

Knowing nothing about how the Arris BGW210-700 is configured, I'd
expect so.  If you can get hold of any router with a WAN/Internet
Ethernet port, then I'd run the experiment.  If any similar router
works, then I'd expect an RAX50 to do at least as well.

Message 2 of 4
Drk83
Aspirant

So sorry for the confusion.

> I do? "we"?
I mean Americans. Sorry I thought this is an American forum. My bad.

And yes it is RAX50 but for now basically any router would be the case.

And the current ATT gateway is a DSL capable gateway. But as I am using FiOS, the gateway is NOT connected via phone jacks, but with a LAN cable from ONT box to the Internet/WAN/ONT port of the gateway.

I think this means the modem part of the gateway might not be functional.

Update to the case:
I connected another router (Asus RT-AC68U) directly to the ONT box and the traffic is not coming through.

Opened the router settings page and it shows "Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly".

Called the ISP (ATT) and they say I should rent their router and then connect my own to theirs.

So the question again is that is it necessary a hardware technical necessity to put Company's router in the middle or is it just their filthy abusive business to charge an exta rental fee for what I don't need and just needs some settings permission on the servers side?

Thanks
Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

Depending on the ONT, some need to be turned off for a few minutes before they will accept a new WAN MAC address (the case with some of the alcatel ONTs). Some require you to manually release the DHCP lease on the previous router before connecting a new one.

In the worst case scenario, you need to call the ISP to have them release the DHCP.

In some cases, you can have the new router use the same MAC address as the old ISP supplied router.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7