× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MK62 new wifi6 mesh system, can a router unit (MR60) be configured to function as satellite(MS60)

MK62guy
Follower

MK62 new wifi6 mesh system, can a router unit (MR60) be configured to function as satellite(MS60)

The MK62 comes with a router (MR60) and a satellite (MS60). I'd like more than one satellite. Can I buy the satellite without the router now? If not can I buy another MK62 with an extra router (MR60) and configure that device to function like a satellite (MS60)? Let me know. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
Emerson307
Aspirant

Re: MK62 new wifi6 mesh system, can a router unit (MR60) be configured to function as satellite(MS60

So I was just talking to customer support about this. Even though everything in their app and even on BestBuy say they support multiple satellites, they don't. They are currently "developing a firmware update that will allow the use of multiple satellites" however they don't have any kind of ETA or expected release date for this firmware.

Message 2 of 7
TJCreath
Initiate

Re: MK62 new wifi6 mesh system, can a router unit (MR60) be configured to function as satellite(MS60

FWIW it sounds like I was in your same position.  I decided to try it with two MK62 kits.  I was able to attach both MS60 satellites to the same MR60 in a single mesh.  I was *not* able to setup the second MR60 to act as a 3rd satellite.  I logged onto this forum hoping someone had solved that problem.

The MR60s did make an immediate firmware update to 1.0.2.76

For the time being I have the other MR60 wired into the network acting as an access point broadcasting with the same SSID and password.  Not optimal but it's getting me through the week.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 7
MaheshYadav
Aspirant

Yes... A router can sync up with upto 3 satellites(thats the max recommended) and no, u cant use a routermr60 as satellite ms60
Message 4 of 7
squashedannon
Aspirant

I recently purchased two MK62 kits after having read an answer from Christian on this forum that, indeed, the MR60 can act as a satellite. Come to find out that this is a difficult ask. When turning it into a wireless access point, my main router unit became unable to function. There are NO phone numbers through which I can speak with Netgear's customer support, though, with my newly registered unit, I am supposedly covered for 90 days. What gives Netgear?? Do I need to resell these systems and get one that functions better or are you on the case of this terrible oversight? How about a phone number so I can talk to a human? 

Message 5 of 7
squashedannon
Aspirant

Ever get this figured out? 

Message 6 of 7
squashedannon
Aspirant

Did you happen to figure this out? 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7