× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Must I pay for firewall subscription to use my new Netgear Nighthawk router

Townsendtek
Follower

Must I pay for firewall subscription to use my new Netgear Nighthawk router

Nighthawk AX 6 stream router.  AX5300

Is this true?  
Tech support told me that I MUST buy a firewall subscription that starts at $150 a year to be able to use the router. 

I have no problem connecting to the wifi,   But every device gets a warning message "your connection is not private" every time I navigate to any web page.   

The support tech said that is the case with ANY new router I buy, because of the newer 4G/5G technology security REQUIREMENTS.  He said I could buy the firewall from someone else, like Walmart, but it would cost more.  When I told him I would look into that he hung up on me (making me even more skeptical).

Specs say router comes with Standards-based WiFi security, Auto firmware update, VPN Support, and Latest Security Standard.

I started by downloading the netgear wifi setup App and using its wizard.  I saw they say you get a free year of ARMOR all in one network security.  That sounds like an extra, not something required.  I am wondering if this download actually MESSED with my router to force this security issue.

Townsendtek_1-1668286418226.png

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Must I pay for firewall subscription to use my new Netgear Nighthawk router

NO. There is a built in Firewall already on routers. Armor is a separate security program and application that helps detect addtiional security issues not handled by the firewall. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/What-is-the-NETGEAR-Armor-Protection-Score/td-p/19717...

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

A lot of times, people google for netgear support and get  scam/con sites that try to sell you firewalls/virus protection/etc. 

If you googled for support and they tried to sell you a firewall, you weren't talking to netgear. If you gave them any credit card info, consider it compromised. 

You don't need a firewall. 

Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

For that error, check your time, as well as the time settings to ensure that you have the proper time zone selected, as proper time and date is needed for proper security certificate verification.

Also if you purchase a new netgear router, you must complete the setup before heading to other websites or the intercept page will try to redirect you to the router setup page, and that will cause browser security features to freak out.
It may also be worth selecting the right time zone in the router settings as well.
Time settings in the router are located in the router page > Advanced> NTP Settings.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series