× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.86 Released

Tonkinite
Luminary

Re: New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.86 Released

Help with what exactly? My usual 2.4GHz setup doesn’t seem to have issues.

Message 26 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try on 5Ghz as well. 

Message 27 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

Are you suggesting that those changes will help with the 5 GHz channel width spontaneously changing from 160 to 80?

What practical effect would this have, and what would be the likely downsides?

From the  WiFi Recommendations:

Channel width

Set to 20MHz for the 2.4GHz band
      Set to Auto or all widths (20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHz) for the 5GHz band

Message 28 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Just troubleshooting suggestions to see if any thing changes in behavior is all. 

Message 29 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking mine today, I see same thing. Mines in bridge mode and LAN port is blinking but WIFI is on solid. 

@Killhippie wrote:

I also noticed only my Ethernet port lights are flickering my Wi-Fi lights don't flicker at all. tried turn them and onn again but nothing happens, is this how they are meant to be?

Message 30 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

This is my first RAXE500, the firmware it came with worked fine, it was after resetting this release that the issue occurred, the previous firmware was I believe 4 versions old. I am hoping this router is not a dud with corrupt Flash ram, but its been running all day fine, i noticed some buggy behaviour using the DHCP reservation list, it did not take the name of the device you just typed in unless you went back to the previous router in the list as it took the name for the new device each time from the previous one in the list, also its limited to 16 digits in DHCP reservation not 32 as it should be. 

The router is putting out a good signal, its been reset so may times its crazy. I found resetting the router then turning it off leaving it for a few minutes then starting the process worked just fine. As I said the previous firmware had no issues logging in, I'm guessing this firmware has some major bugs. The router is one day old and now Netgear support already unbelievable. (sigh) My RAX120 was old and getting tired this seemed a good idea and also its not a draft router, but its probably Netgears most buggy router so far I have used.

Message 31 of 51
Topology
Virtuoso

The new capability to manually select a Speedtest server is a nice addition – see ADVANCED | Setup | QoS Setup | Select Speedtest Server.

Message 32 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

How many devices do you have connected to the RAXE? 

Are you using the default IP address pool range? 

What logging problems are you seeing in particular? 

@Killhippie wrote:

This is my first RAXE500, the firmware it came with worked fine, it was after resetting this release that the issue occurred, the previous firmware was I believe 4 versions old. I am hoping this router is not a dud with corrupt Flash ram, but its been running all day fine, i noticed some buggy behaviour using the DHCP reservation list, it did not take the name of the device you just typed in unless you went back to the previous router in the list as it took the name for the new device each time from the previous one in the list, also its limited to 16 digits in DHCP reservation not 32 as it should be. 

The router is putting out a good signal, its been reset so may times its crazy. I found resetting the router then turning it off leaving it for a few minutes then starting the process worked just fine. As I said the previous firmware had no issues logging in, I'm guessing this firmware has some major bugs. The router is one day old and now Netgear support already unbelievable. (sigh) My RAX120 was old and getting tired this seemed a good idea and also its not a draft router, but its probably Netgears most buggy router so far I have used.

Message 33 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

Im running about 20 devices, ive noticed that after a factory reset I ciuld not log into the router, I think this may have been a browser setting issue rather than the router although it does boot up cold with settings changing a few times when first using this version. Oddly router logs only last one day normally they last longer, and DHCP reservation only allows 16 digits for names when the RAX120 allowed 32 as do most Netgear routers. QoS is a bit messy, it wont show you changed a priority till you leave the page and return.

Message 34 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like there is a few bugs in the version of FW. 

What browser are you using when you factory reset and setup from scratch? 

What URL are you using when you attempt to log in and cant' get access? 

What happens if you enable email logging? 

What are the current CTS values under Advanced Wireless settings? 

Message 35 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

I'm using Firefox 103.0.2, same issue with Safari. Basically you get one chance to log in (not using the app) and using Wi-Fi seems the way to get the setup page on this firmware, the setup page does not appear on those two browsers over Ethernet after a reset. If I attach to the default Netgear routers Wi-Fi SSID after resetting with my iPad the setup screen starts, but oddly though you need to turn the whole router off for a while, so the router has its cache cleared and thinks its starting up for the first time. Then logging in via the iPad works. Never seen anything like it had no issue on the first firmware version, also QoS is a bit slow to wake up for my browser after my mac is asleep all night, it does not find the internet straight away, but other devices remain connected fine so I have disabled it. Ah the joys of buggy Netgear firmware. If you miss the chance to login you get stuck in a loop where the router asks you after resetting the firmware if you want to skip Netgears privacy setting, thats why it cannot complete it does not work because there are no internet connection details in the router to complete that screen. This firmware is a messy to say the least.

Message 36 of 51
PM3
Guide
Guide

Followed the instructions here are my results:

Internet port auto detect I've never seen work on either the router built in web page wizard or Nighthawk app on any firmware version since purchasing the router.

Built in web page setup wizard doesn't accept password for your account greater than 20 characters. Just FYI the Netgear.com web page accepts password of 255 characters.

Router will not activate my armor service. Currently using trial.

New support for WPA2-Personal[AES] + WPA3-Personal was a welcome sight, but not added to guest network.

Guest network still doesn't support Smart Connect.

Enabling LACP always seems to really slow down my internet connection.

In the new days of non-wired laptops the internal web pages need to account for network switching especially the setup wizards.

In the new era of changing MAC addresses, the systems need to account for this and start looking at something else like hardware ID.

Message 37 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

@PM3 wrote:

Followed the instructions here are my results:

Internet port auto detect I've never seen work on either the router built in web page wizard or Nighthawk app on any firmware version since purchasing the router.

What Brand and model ISP modem/ONT do you have? 

Are you using the main 1Gb WAN port or the 2.5Gb port when your first setting up the router? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 

Built in web page setup wizard doesn't accept password for your account greater than 20 characters. Just FYI the Netgear.com web page accepts password of 255 characters.

Router will probably never accept more then 20 chartaters for the admin long in page. Not really needed. The NG.com is a separate account service and has different requirements. Would be no need for 255 characters on the admin log in page. 

Are you using the NH app to access the Armor feature? Did you factory reset the router after applying the FW update, setup with a web browser, then use the NH app to access the Armor feature? I recommend you post here for any and all Armor issues you may have:

New support for WPA2-Personal[AES] + WPA3-Personal was a welcome sight, but not added to guest network.

I kinda doubt we'll see WPA3 on GN in the near future. 

Guest network still doesn't support Smart Connect.

Never will as it's a signal netowrk already and handled by the router and devcies. 

Enabling LACP always seems to really slow down my internet connection.

In the new days of non-wired laptops the internal web pages need to account for network switching especially the setup wizards.

Wireless laptops can connect to router web pages or should be able to using a wireless connection vs wired. Initial setup can be done using the initial setup SSID name and password seen on the routers sticker. Its just easier with ethernet. Also they make USB to ethernet adapters that are inexpensive to install and use too for those laptops that don't have a ethernet port.

In the new era of changing MAC addresses, the systems need to account for this and start looking at something else like hardware ID. Users can disable the MAC addresses changing on there devices. Thats up to users and settings on devices. Especially Apple. The WiFi Private IP address is one. Thats a feature thats not needed while at home. Travelling or being remote away from the home of course. I disable this feature while at home. No real need for it while at home. 

Message 38 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so I wanted to see if could reproduce these factory reste and setup issues. 
I use a Mac Book Pro 2018 and Monterey OS. 

Safari Browser

Eithernet connected to the back of the router thats connected to the CM1200 cable modem using the 1Gb WAN port on the RAXE.

Factory reset and was give this page when accessing 192.168.1.1:

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 12.15.12 PM.png

Was able to complete the setup wizard fine. It didn't find any new FW. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 12.28.19 PM.png

I see Speed test as a drop down menu however it only shows Auto as a selection. Not sure what other items should be seen here:

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 12.20.16 PM.png

Yes, Mixed mode WPA2 and WPA3 are now available, yay:

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 12.23.05 PM.png

Message 39 of 51
PM3
Guide
Guide

What Brand and model ISP modem/ONT do you have? Verizon FIOS. ONT is a Verizon branded Alcatel-Lucent BVMBS10DRA

Are you using the main 1Gb WAN port or the 2.5Gb port when you first setting up the router? Yes, but wanting to be prepared for Verizon 2GB upgrade I was using the 2.5 port. Both web wizard and NH app say auto detect port but never do. I have to use 1GB port.

What CAT# lan cable are you using? Cat 6 may be Cat 6e

Are you using the NH app to access the Armor feature? Did you factory reset the router after applying the FW update, setup with a web browser, then use the NH app to access the Armor feature? I recommend you post here for any and all Armor issues you may have:

Pic on right (see attached) is NH app error activating armor. Background pic is from armor.netgear.com showing trial is activated for some reason. I checked my subscription, and it says 229 days left.

Also, devices on NH app = 9, on armor = 3

Finally, I do have an ancient case open which has been sent to Bitdefender to address according to the tech assigned.

Message 40 of 51
PM3
Guide
Guide

I reset my router to factory defaults again trying just the NH app. I did the reset through routerlogin.net. While that was doing its thing I cleared all devices from armor.netgear.com. After about an hour of troubleshooting because I couldn't configure my router, I ended up resetting the router again via reset button and deleting and reinstalling NH app. Finally I was able to put a basic config on my router. Then went in to the web page for tweaks, installed the router cert to get rid of the 68 messages from bitdefender, saved my cert and config to onedrive. Phew! This is too much work for a Sunday.

Message 41 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

@PM3 wrote:

What Brand and model ISP modem/ONT do you have? Verizon FIOS. ONT is a Verizon branded Alcatel-Lucent BVMBS10DRA

Are you using the main 1Gb WAN port or the 2.5Gb port when you first setting up the router? Yes, but wanting to be prepared for Verizon 2GB upgrade I was using the 2.5 port. Both web wizard and NH app say auto detect port but never do. I have to use 1GB port.

I believe you have to use the 1Gb WAN Port first after a factory reset is performed. Then onces it's setup and running, You then have to go in and change the Ethernet Setup to include the 2.5Gb port. Once you apply that, the router will reboot. While thats rebooting move the WAN cable over from the ONT to the 2.5Gb port. This is what I saw today on mine. Thought until such time, I recommend using the 1Gb WAN Port until you get the ISP ONT online that supports 2.5Gb WAN connections. I would not use the 2.5Gb port until that time arrives.

What CAT# lan cable are you using? Cat 6 may be Cat 6e

CAT6 will do fine for the 1Gb WAN connection however when you get the 2.5Gb ISP supporting ONT, install a CAT6A cable between the ONT and RAXE router at that point. 

Please post here for any and ALL armor problems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Message 42 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Next time try setting up with a ethernet connected PC and web browser. 

Be sure that the RAXE IS connected to the ONT using it's 1GB WAN port first thing if you do a factory reset. The 2.5Gb port is not fully enabled when a factory reset is performed. 

@PM3 wrote:

I reset my router to factory defaults again trying just the NH app. I did the reset through routerlogin.net. While that was doing its thing I cleared all devices from armor.netgear.com. After about an hour of troubleshooting because I couldn't configure my router, I ended up resetting the router again via reset button and deleting and reinstalling NH app. Finally I was able to put a basic config on my router. Then went in to the web page for tweaks, installed the router cert to get rid of the 68 messages from bitdefender, saved my cert and config to onedrive. Phew! This is too much work for a Sunday.

Message 43 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

After resetting did you get the Netgear privacy message? You have to accept it by ticking I agree, then it flip to do you accept or reject the netgear collecting information , then the login login pages starts, mine does not it does not complete that wizard. It gets stuck in a loop of trying over and over with the Netgear privacy setting, but works on a mobile browser. I'm wondering if its glitch due to Firefox maybe as Firefox is in strict mode and forces HTTPS on all pages, next time I'll try Safari on my iMac, as it works on the safari brower on my iPad. I never had this issue with the RAX120 though. Then again I never had a privacy window you had to accept then another that said accept or skip the Netgear privacy final part, its on this part it loops and will not set up. Also DHCP reservation is 16 digits per device name it should be 32. I have to say the whole GUI looks more for a mobile browser than a web one these days, Oh i used routerlogin.net during setup. The Wi-Fi lights still don't blink.

Message 44 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

I did not see any privacy messages appear in Safari.

Though its possible since I had used Safari with other prior routers, I had seen Safari come with a privacy popup before if it's the same one your referring too. I was able to select Ok, it had me authenticate, then the Are you Sure thing and then I was able to proceed. This was on a prior router, I forgot which one. I have so many. LOL. 

I did not see this yesterday when I FR my RAXE. 

If you get a chance would you post a picture of what your seeing?

I try another FR and before that, clear all browser caches and such from Safari and try another walk thru and see if I can reproduce this again after work today. 

@Killhippie wrote:

After resetting did you get the Netgear privacy message? You have to accept it by ticking I agree, then it flip to do you accept or reject the netgear collecting information , then the login login pages starts, mine does not it does not complete that wizard. It gets stuck in a loop of trying over and over with the Netgear privacy setting, but works on a mobile browser. I'm wondering if its glitch due to Firefox maybe as Firefox is in strict mode and forces HTTPS on all pages, next time I'll try Safari on my iMac, as it works on the safari brower on my iPad. I never had this issue with the RAX120 though. Then again I never had a privacy window you had to accept then another that said accept or skip the Netgear privacy final part, its on this part it loops and will not set up. Also DHCP reservation is 16 digits per device name it should be 32. I have to say the whole GUI looks more for a mobile browser than a web one these days, Oh i used routerlogin.net during setup. The Wi-Fi lights still don't blink.

Message 45 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

OK so I went back and I cleared History from Safari. I also cleared out any saved passwords for the router as well to be sure. Factory reset the router and setup from scratch again using my mac book pro ethernet connected. I still don't get the privacy popup and the authentication menu before safari proceeds to the setup wizard. It goes directly to the first setup wizard window seen in my first test post. Able to walk thru the setup wizard and complete it successfuly. 

Message 46 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

Are you based in the UK or Europe? It may be a regional thing causing this issue, and tripping the router up possibly. I live in the UK. Thanks for your help, I don't really want to try again having gotten it all up and running as you may Imagine. It is for Europe so I imagine its a bug causing this issue. Once again thanks for your help. This message was not on my first run though on older firmware so its a new addition and seems to cause issues in setup. <sigh>

https://kb.netgear.com/000064225/I-live-in-the-European-Union-or-United-Kingdom-how-do-I-opt-out-of-...

Message 47 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

USA here. Possible. Something you might check with NG about and see.

@DarrenM @iyang 

Message 48 of 51
packratguy
Aspirant

Hi has anybody have problems after few days on this version of firmware can't login to router I have reset to factory? And on previous firmware 5ghz stops working after week or so depends ?
Any ideas to fix?
Message 49 of 51
Intelli
Initiate

Setting the 5GHz band to 80MHz channel width (2400 Mbps mode), and selecting a channel between 149-161 seems like it may resolve the 5GHz stability issues.

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7