× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX12 wifi draining batteries

TRoundy
Tutor

Nighthawk AX12 wifi draining batteries

I have been having issues with my Nighthawk AX12 router draining the battery of my Nest thermostat.  Google Nest tech support is worthless.    It seems that something about this router is causing battery drain.  I believe its causing the same issue on my tablet.

Can anyone offer a solution to this issue?  I would really appreciate some help on this.

I tried installing an earlier firmware to see if that would fix it.  It did not, so I have the current firmware installed now.

Message 1 of 9

Re: Nighthawk AX12 wifi draining batteries

@TRoundy wrote:

I have been having issues with my Nighthawk AX12 router draining the battery of my Nest thermostat. 

It is hard to see how a router can drain the battery on your Internet of Things (IoT) stuff. All the router does is to provide a wifi connection between IoT widget and the Internet.

If the wifi is weak, the widget may drain its own battery as it tries to communicate with the router. But that's not the router problem.

If you experience that, you may need to do something to improve the wifi signal to the gadget.

Google Nest tech support is worthless.   

How about Google search?

draining battery nest thermostat - Google Search

Seems to be a bit of an issue.

By the way, AX12 doesn't tell us what router you have. AX12 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with that tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number, probably RAX something.

Message 2 of 9
TRoundy
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk AX12 (RAX120) wifi draining batteries

Google tech support said that the issue is with the router (RAX120).  The Nest works fine and the battery stays charged as long as it isn't connected to wifi.  The wifi signal strength is good to excellent.  

I need to know what router settings will work with the Nest.  

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the wifi on the router configured for now on Basic and Advanced? 

What is the distance from the router to the NEST controller? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try AX mode disabled on the both radios.

try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 9

@TRoundy wrote:

Google tech support said that the issue is with the router (RAX120). 

Google search disagrees with Google tech.

draining battery nest thermostat - Google Search

Did you follow any of the many links?

Anything there that you disagree with?

By definition, Google tech will blame anyone and everyone else. Netgear tech will respond accordngly. "Pass the buck" is part of the job description for tech support.

The skill is in ignoring that stuff and doing a bit of research.

Nest thermostat battery

A few pointers there.

Message 5 of 9
TRoundy
Tutor

Answers:

1. Advanced I believe.  I tried turning off the Smart Connect and the AX and I also tried using an earlier firmware.

2. Nest is about 15 feet from the router.

3. Current firmware is 1.2.3.28

4.  I have no modem.  I have fiber internet. No close neighbor wifi...............I live in rural area.

Message 6 of 9
TRoundy
Tutor

Yes, I followed all the Nest pointers other than adding a c wire.  The Nest battery holds a charge as long as it isn't connected to wifi.

I've had a Nest for years (with same connection) for years and never had an issue until 2021.  I bought a new Nest thinking that was the issue but it wasn't.  New one did the same thing.   I tried to get the point across to google that the issue is between some Netgear routers (I am not the only one having issues) and the Nest but they choose to ignore me.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Does disabling Smart Connect change the behavior? 

Try setting manual channel 1 and 40. 

Message 8 of 9
duncanrc
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AX12 wifi draining batteries

I also have the same issue. So to test the theory, I connected my thermostat to my isp router and the issue resolved itself. My thermostat maintained a full battery charge.
My RBR850 Orbi with current firmware is setup in default mode with a custom SSID/PW
The router and thermostat are in the same room.
I have a dozen Wi-Fi gadgets in the house and the one that I am able to visually see is the security camera which is off-line and online constantly. The camera and satellite are 10’ away from one another.
There must be some simple settings that settles the Wi-Fi issue. I’ve tried setting static IP addresses for the camera and the thermostat with no change.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7