× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX4 RAX40

Kimberlyperu
Follower

Nighthawk AX4 RAX40

My fiber Optic modem went down on Wednesday. I finally got someone here to fix it. My router showed that it was trying to connect to the modem but couldn't. Before this, the internet people kept telling me that it was the router but I had no voice service either. I did everything they told me to do, unplug the router, reset it. And every time it came back up showing that it was working fine but no internet. So day it was doing the same thing. I switched the Netgear router out with my older router, not Netgear, and I have internet. I didn't get more support than the standard. I bought the router a year ago in February. I didn't realize that you couldn't call and ask questions after the warranty had expired. I also wasn't expecting it fail after 15 months either. 

Is this common for this product? Is it fixable or cost more than the product is worth? I wish you could call and ask questions. Like why is it doing this. I stopped buy Dell products because of the same thing. I broke a plastic plug on a Dell printer and wanted to know if I could buy another plug. I had to pay them $40.00 to tell me yes or no. Yeah I didn't. It would be real nice if a product lasted longer than a couple of years especially when they are expensive. The old router is more than 5 years old, but I have more devices and fiber now insead of satelite dish. So if I need to replace it, I want a reliable product.

The last 5 days has been very frustrating. I work from home and my cell service is very limited. Where I can get cell service it's 3G. Right, tell me about. While the rest of the world has 5G, I'm lucky to get 3G. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk AX4 RAX40

Hello Kimberlyperu,

Is you fiber optic modem a modem only or gateway? You may try factory resetting your router by holding down on the reset button for 15+ seconds using a pin/needle. You will need to run through the setup assistant again. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
Tobi-wan
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk AX4 RAX40

What firmware version is your router running? I had auto update enabled and the 1.0.3.94 update caused similar issues to you. Sometimes it failed DHCP negotiation with my ISP, others it would say connected and retrieve an IP but I couldn't get a signal via wifi or wired. Have reset the router, downgraded to 1.0.3.88 and then done a full power cycle of fibre box and router and it's back up and running.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7