× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk/Desktop connection conflict

qq23
Follower

Nighthawk/Desktop connection conflict

Hey all,

Been having a load of issues with my router install. I was on the customer service line last night and we thought we got it fixed. We used the mac address of the PC to get the internet running via routerlogin.net. I turned on my desktop today (which is connected directly to the modem) and realized that it wasn't getting an internet connection. I cycled the modem and that fixed the issue but now the router has no internet connection. Any thoughts? I don't feel like being on hold for another 2 hours with customer service.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk/Desktop connection conflict

Without knowing too much about what was done to fix it beofre, could be a stretch...but I will make a lot of assumptions:

1) Assuming you have an RAX40 on the latest firmware.

2) Assuming you have Cable Internet (Cox, Comcast, other?)

3) Assuming your Cable modem (unsure what model) is connected to the Yellow (WAN) port of your Router.

4) Assuming you rebooted your cable modem. Then rebooted your router after? If not, reboot them in that order.

My guess is...your Modem has multiple ports on it, and you are paying for 1 IP address from your Internet provider. Therefore you can only have 1 live-device directly attached to your Modem (unless your Modem is configured to be a router..but my guess is support had you put it into Bridge Mode since you purchased the RAX40).

To fix the issue if you are connected as above....1) All devices should be connected to your RAX40.  2) The RAX40 should be the only device connected to your Cable modem.  3) Make sure your Cable modem is in Bridge Mode if issues still occur.  4) Reboot Modem, then reboot RAX40 router.

Obviously making a LOT of assumptions here...so if you can provide more info if the above doesn't work, will try to offer more help, but this may be enough to assist...

@qq23 wrote:

Hey all,

Been having a load of issues with my router install. I was on the customer service line last night and we thought we got it fixed. We used the mac address of the PC to get the internet running via routerlogin.net. I turned on my desktop today (which is connected directly to the modem) and realized that it wasn't getting an internet connection. I cycled the modem and that fixed the issue but now the router has no internet connection. Any thoughts? I don't feel like being on hold for another 2 hours with customer service.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7