× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 firmware upgrade performance issues

Aussie7734
Aspirant

RAX120 firmware upgrade performance issues

Hello i am a novice at networking

my configuration

1. CM1000 Modem - Mediacom provider

2. Cat6 connection from CM1000 modem to RAX120 AX router

3. Cat6 connection from RAX120 to GS324TP switch

House is wired with cat6 feeding back into GS324TP switch - typically tvs and couple of desktop locations in house

Autoupgrade of firmware on RAX120 to v.122 a couple of days ago has caused no end of trouble...TVs (that are wire connected) and my desktop were constantly dropping...tested internet speed directly at router and 400MBps upload so fast and wireless accessed devices seemed to be reasonably fast but most wired TVs and desktops kept dropping connection or not able to get more than 5-10Mbps upload and download.....

I think i have backed out v122 firmware update on the RAX120 back to the last version that i vaguely remember working solid v.114 and dont know if it will fix things today....

wondering if there is an issue with parameters that need to change on my RAX120 or Switch. for the v122 firmware update......also any thoughts on where i can go to get advice on making sure my network is setup correctly / performance wise

thanks in advance

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 firmware upgrade performance issues

Anytime there's an issues after a firmware upgrade, a good first step is to factory reset the device and manually re-install it. Reason why is potentially the firmware changed enough that a setting caused issues. Its especially true of the RAX devices because they're so new and getting quite significant changes 

I'd try that next time. 

Message 2 of 8
Aussie7734
Aspirant

Thanks - hitting factory reset after firmware upgrades would wipe the upgrade no? Also would you recommend factory reset on all components - modem, router and switch? To get all in synch again?
Message 3 of 8
NordicBastrd
Apprentice

No the factory reset in this case just sets the settings back to a clean slate.  The firware version stays the same.

Message 4 of 8
Aussie7734
Aspirant

i reset entire system - Modem , Rax120 Wifi router and Gs324tp switch....at point of setting up RAX 120 wifi went straight to latest patch 122 vs previous approach of upgrading....so far been 3 days with no performance issues with wired based devices.....having a little bit of trouble getting my mesh routers figured out but will attempt redo on those later.

cheers and thanks for help

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it working!

Mesh routers? If you're running more than 1 router, you'd want the mesh routers in AP mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 6 of 8
Aussie7734
Aspirant

sorry i want to make sure i am using right terms...appreciate the help...is mesh extender and routher one and the same ?

so i have a multistory home and had pockets where wifi was non existent...so i bought 2 EX7700 Extenders.......followed the instructions for setup and placed on different floors in house - basement (ex7700) and ground level(ex7700)  with primary wifi routher (RAX120) on top floor

do i need to set the mesh extenders to "AP" mode....what is that and how do i do it....

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

No, mesh extenders are different than mesh routers. 

You can leave them in extender mode. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7