× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 fw:1.2.8.40 - Some devices connected to wifi but no internet

jhamaker
Aspirant

RAX120 fw:1.2.8.40 - Some devices connected to wifi but no internet

Hello

RAX120 is about 2 years old. Firmware was updated to 1.2.8.40. Set to AP, and connects to a switch by ethernet, which is connected to a Sonic Wall. 

Recently we have started having a problem where some devices (usually cell phones) will connect to the WiFi, but will show No Internet. This has happened with both android and iPhones. In most cases forgetting the wifi will resolve the issue in the short term, but it will frequently come back.

I have looked through the forum and have not found a resolution for the issue; just some comments from people experiencing similar issues. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this issue. 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 fw:1.2.8.40 - Some devices connected to wifi but no internet

What devices do you have connected to the RAX? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

How is the wifi and advanced wifi setting configured?

What CAT# lan cables are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the brand and model switch in the mix? 

Please post the first 3 characters of the routers serial number. 

Message 2 of 6

@jhamaker wrote:

Recently we have started having a problem where some devices (usually cell phones) will connect to the WiFi, but will show No Internet.

Is this because the mobiles have lost the wifi link or because the router's wifi has lost the Internet?

If only some devices misbehave, while others still work, the first suspect has to be the device itself.

You could rule that out with the usual trick, tell the guilty wifi clients to forget their past links to the wifi from the router and then recreate the link.

Message 3 of 6
jhamaker
Aspirant

• The first 3 digits of the serial number are 67T.
  • Wifi devises are almost exclusively cellphones and non-domain laptops. But there are a couple of printers.
  • I have changed the channels as suggested, but it did not solve this issue.
  • We are in a somewhat remote area, so there is no issue with wifi from neighbors. The only other wifi is from the Comcast wifi unit we are not using.

Since posting my initial query, I have found the users who are connected but not getting wifi are receiving a bad ip/gateway when they connect. Our default gateway is 192.168.1.1. However, these users are getting an ip address of 192.168.0.X and a default gateway of 192.168.0.254. 

I didn't mention in my original post, but the RAX120 is being used as an access point, not a router. DHCP is being handled by our server, and we are not having any issues with wired connections. Most wifi devices are not having a problem. The main reason I'm looking at a router problem rather than a phone problem is it's happening on both android and iphone. 

Message 4 of 6

@jhamaker wrote:

I didn't mention in my original post, but the RAX120 is being used as an access point, not a router. DHCP is being handled by our server, and we are not having any issues with wired connections. Most wifi devices are not having a problem.

That makes all the difference. Most problems will be down to what is happening with your (unnamed) router.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Most wifi devices are not having a problem. The main reason I'm looking at a router problem rather than a phone problem is it's happening on both android and iphone. 

It may be a router problem, but it won't be with the RAX120 in AP mode. It leaves management to the router.

And, as you have no wifi problems with most devices, it isn't likely to be a router problem either.

When one set of wifi clients has problems, the logical place to look for the solution is with the wifi clients.

Maybe this?

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Recent Android is in the same boat.

Message 5 of 6
jhamaker
Aspirant

After my earlier reply I did some more investigation. I found the 192.168.0.254 device was another access point in second building of our facility. For some reason that AP was picking up the 192.168.0 subnet (is that the correct term?) rather than 192.168.1. After rebooting the AP it switched to 192.168.1.106 (I still need to log in and see if I can give it as static IP, or set a reservation in the server). 

I'm not going to pretend to understand why devices were seemingly picking up that second AP as the default gateway, especially since it has a different SSID from the main wifi, and was on a different subnet from the main AP.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7