× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120v2 Drops wifi and lan connection

Simon95132
Aspirant

RAX120v2 Drops wifi and lan connection

I’ve been noticing the router out of the blue drops all wifi and lan connections and in about 1minute come back online. Both the guest and non guest wifi go away. The problem seemed to start after a couple of months after setting it up. I have about 24 devices connected. Any suggestions or questions welcome..
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120v2 Drops wifi and lan connection

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

What firmware is on the router? 

When it happens, have you checked to see if the router is rebooting, if its internet light is down, or what actually is happening with it? 

Do connections say "connected, no internet", do they disconnect from the wired/wireless connection entirely? What actually happens? 
Is it happening after the same amount of time each day (maybe lease time?) 

Message 2 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

Connected to att modem
Firmware V1.2.3.2.8
It doesn’t appear to be the internet, the wifi and lan connections drop. Wifi does show wifi id anymore. After about a minute, they appear again. Lan, shows no connection. The logs don’t show a reboot, and modem and router lights look fine as far as can tell.
I do see a message about ‘dos’ in the log . Maybe there’s an attack going on?

I’ll check the lease time .
Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

ATT tends to use modem/router combo devices. 

It causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

I’m ahead of you on that one. I have the modem setup in dmz mode. The wifi is disabled on the modem or off. The nat is open. I am using ipv6 instead of ipv4. It’s been working well but not so much in the last month.
Message 5 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

Lease time is 10minutes. Seems pretty short
Message 6 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

I was reading some posts on the pace modem in dmz mode. Att sets their lease time to 10minutes so that explains what I am seeing. It seems att prefer to keep this setting on their end. I’m not believing this is my problem.

I’m baffled. What else can I do to better diagnose the problem when it happens?
Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

If you connect the orbi to the att device in access point mode, do you still get the issue?

Message 8 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

Running AP is not an option for me. Has it solved someone else’s similar problem to mine? My wifi drops connection and so does lan. It’s doesn’t smell like ISP or pace issue…
Message 9 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

I checked these links
Subnet is not the same , they are different.
The pace is configure correctly , I can get the max rate 100/20 for my area.
The pace is setup in dmz and the wifi on it is disabled. I see no beacons from pace wifi as expected.
As for modem firmware, again the data rates are coming in at maximum via speed check on router and Netgear app.
Again, to point out I notice wifi connections drop and the wifi network goes down temporarily and then reappears. Lan drops as well then also comes back on.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@Simon95132 wrote:
I checked these links
Subnet is not the same , they are different.
The pace is configure correctly , I can get the max rate 100/20 for my area.
The pace is setup in dmz <Set up on the RAX DMZ? If so, this is incorrect. The RAX IP address it gets from the PACE should be in the PACE DMZ. 
and the wifi on it is disabled. I see no beacons from pace wifi as expected.
As for modem firmware, again the data rates are coming in at maximum via speed check on router and Netgear app.
Again, to point out I notice wifi connections drop and the wifi network goes down temporarily and then reappears. Lan drops as well then also comes back on. Is Smart Connect enabled or disabled? 
What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 12 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

The pace is setup as a dmz, not the router. IP comes straight through pace from att .

I am using smart connect and default settings from wifi. I use pc with lan cable and with wifi for other pc or equipment. There is about 8 other wifi signals from neighbors. 2 of them are strong signals and the others are weak.

On my former router I manually set channels but didn’t find it really made any difference, that’s when I choose channel the neighbors where not using.

Is the suggestion not to use smart connect and auto?
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try disabling Smart Connect and see if anything changes the behavior. 

Also try turning down the power output of the routers wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 14 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

The drop happened again but this time I looked at the led lights on the router a lot sooner this time. All the led lights were off. About 30 seconds later they started to reappear. Then the network came back on. It looked like it power cycled or shut down. As an engineer myself, my first impression is a hardware problem. I turned off auto updating so it shouldn’t have rebooted from a firmware change. Any ideas?
Message 15 of 16
Simon95132
Aspirant

Something for me to point out. We really use the full potential of the product. We can have as many as 25 connections. A few video streams is not uncommon. I’ve checked other forums on the same model and others have experienced the same issue. A couple of individuals bothered to take the router apart and claimed to have found solder issues or power connection problems. So far I’ve had two Netgear and an asus higher end routers which crap out too soon. Disappointed is consumer quality.. the quality should be automotive or industrial for the price we pay..
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7