× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 admin password not reset after factory reset

tatsumaki
Aspirant

RAX40 admin password not reset after factory reset

I applied the new firmware update and my wifi did not come back on after reboot. When I attempted to log in as an administrator the router would not accept my password. I decided to perform a reset by holding a pin in the appropriate location.

The router shows the initial wizard but when I attempt to log in it does not accept the default password on the bottom of the router. I have attempted the reset while holding the button 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds, etc and tried doing it with the router powered on and powered the router on while holding it. Nothing has changed.

I attempted the tftp firmware upload but have not been able to get that to succeed. At this point I’m at a loss of what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
tatsumaki
Aspirant

Re: RAX40 admin password not reset after factory reset

I am happy to report that I was able to correct this issue. I was able to use the nmrpflash utility to install new firmware. The newest 1.0.5 and 1.0.4 versions did not fix the issue so I went all the way to 1.0.1.36 and this allowed me back into the router. I will now attempt to update sequentially as I cannot recall what firmware version I was on before.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The default login using the browser is 

login: admin

password: password

Both lower case and no spaces. 

Sometimes people don't hold the reset long enough. Push and hold it for up to 15 seconds while powered on. 

Message 2 of 4
tatsumaki
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply but that’s what I’ve already tried.

I have since plugged in an older Netgear and reconfigured it so I have confirmed I can type ‘admin’ and ‘password’ correctly. This device, however, refuses to cooperate after several more reset attempts.
Message 3 of 4
tatsumaki
Aspirant

I am happy to report that I was able to correct this issue. I was able to use the nmrpflash utility to install new firmware. The newest 1.0.5 and 1.0.4 versions did not fix the issue so I went all the way to 1.0.1.36 and this allowed me back into the router. I will now attempt to update sequentially as I cannot recall what firmware version I was on before.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series