× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX54 v1.0 - Constant Crashing

ph3l0n
Aspirant

RAX54 v1.0 - Constant Crashing

As the title states, my router is constantly crashing.  First the GUI fails and then shortly there after, the whole of the router fails.   I have to manually restart the router for it to work again.  It can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes for the GUI to fail, and after the GUI fails the router can fail anywhere between that time and about 2 hours.  I am unable to gather logs due to the fact the router is failing and has to be restarted, or the GUI portion just does not work.  I have tried routerlogin.com/net, the IP address, the app.  I have tried calling tech support but they insist I pay a fee to figure out why their router is failing.  To me this seems like a hardware issue. So before I return this thing to Costco, I was hoping someone here has seen this issue, and knows how to fix it.  Any recommendations are welcomed.

I have tried:

• 30-30-30
  • The three latest firmwares, in different order so I can upgrade/downgrade from different firmware.
  • Manually setting up the router.
  • Using a config to set up the router.
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably best to return it. 

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably best to return it. 

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

What are your thoughts on this?  Hardware failure?

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably. 

Try another one or different model series. 

Message 4 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

Is this common a common problem for this router or this vendor?  I have seen that other router variations RAX8000 has had the same issue through googling a fix.   I am kind of leary with buying another router from NetGear, but I like the router gui, which makes me not want to jump ship to another router manufacturer..

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Maybe a Mfrg defect or part that went bad. Not all routers are bad. Just maybe one bad go thru or was a bad batch is all. Try a different model series or same one from store or online etailer.

RAX8000 is not a valid router model. 

Message 6 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What all do you have connected to the router? 

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I have the R8000. Its a solid router. Got mine used from Amazon about a year.5 ago. Works well when I had it online. 

@ph3l0n wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Smart-Wi-Fi-Router/dp/B00KWHMR6G - This router is what I was referring to.

Message 9 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

Modem:

Arris: SB6183

The LAN cable is Cat 6e and I have been using it for the last 9 months with out issue.  I checked the connectors and they both look fine and tested fine when I used my tester.

Message 10 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

I will have to go find the links for you that I was reading yesterday.  If you want to look at what I am, google "Netgear Constant Crash", also kudos FURRYe38 for responding in those threads too!

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

That was a good modem too when it was supported by my ISP. It got booted though. 

Ya, try another model or different model series, Maybe a RAX70 and see. 

Possible that the time frame of the failure is something getting hot when it shouldn't. Regardless of how routers are designed for ambient air cooling, I have been using forced air cooling for past 10+ years under any router I have online. Just keeps it cooler and staves off HW damage over time due to heat. Nature of the beast here. 

Message 12 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

I have my router sitting on large wire mesh shelving, so it has full open air.  I wonder if I need to blow it out, maybe it has some dust in it.  I will give that a try before I head back to Costco.  I also wonder if it is my modem, but docsys 3.1 is still supported by my ISP.  The Netgear rep I talked to mentioned adjusting the MTU, but then refused to clarify or give me any documentation for me to look at to adjust it on the router.

As I said, I am open to all ideas that doesn't revolve around returning my router.  So if you got anything else, hit me with it.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

The 6183 is only D3.0, not 3.1. I doubt this is causing the problem though. Would need to test another same model router to see if problem follows with same newer model or not. 

Can you try the router in a different location. Non metal mesh shelve. Just on a desk or something?

Message 14 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

I am not sure moving it will provide any benefit as it has max airflow where it is.  To give you an idea of the setup:

ph3l0n_0-1696861949765.jpeg

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Recommended distance between electronic devices is 3-6 feet. 

Message 16 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

If it was not working for the last 10 months, I would agree with you here.  But I think you are right, I just need to return it and buy something else.  Everything points to hardware failure, I was just hoping that was not the case.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you get...

Message 18 of 20
ph3l0n
Aspirant

I ended up buying a ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000, I have had good product support from them in the past.  The determining factor is their tech support does not require $$ to contact.  I can usually troubleshoot my own hardware, and the fact Netgear support wanted to charge me to RMA, when it is clearly a hardware issue, turned me off from ever buying another Netgear product.  You on the other hand have been a gem, thanks for the help.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. I've got there GT-AX11000. It's been good. Mostly use it as a wireless bridge. Ya Asus seems to have better support though my friend I play xbox with went thru 4 of these units as the multi gig port kept failing if he connected his xbox to this port. Never heard if they fixed it or not. 🙄

I would recommend clear more room out around the router though. Keep some room around the router if possible. Noise from other devices can cause problems and the router can induce noise being that close on other devices as well. 

Enjoy and good luck.

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7