× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE290 constantly drop different clients

TVLN753
Tutor

Usually it looks like the following in the logs:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.28)] to MAC address (my PC), Saturday, October 29, 2022 09:55:30
[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address (my PC), Saturday, October 29, 2022 09:55:29

or (it usually happened when I load the PC (open multiple reddit pages))

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.15)] to MAC address (my PC), Saturday, October 29, 2022 16:40:26
[DoS attack:ACK_Scan] from source: (my Laptop),port 56298, Saturday, October 29, 2022 16:37:56

I have called Netgear tech support, but it was complete waste of time. Representatives stated 5GHz WiFi can not work beyond 10ft and that is technology limitation, switched to other representatives, dropped calls...

My PC have old ASUS PCE-N53 PCI-E card, but router drop connection for different devices including a new phone. That was not the case with my old router (R6700v3).

Is it just defective router or I can change some settings?

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RAXE290 constantly drop different clients

1. what firmware is on the raxe? 

2. what modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

3. it only happens on the 5ghz? it doesn't drop on other bands? Have you tried changing what channel the 5ghz is broadcasting on? 

4. if its only happening on 5ghz, are you using the DFS channels? or what channel are you using?

Message 2 of 8
TVLN753
Tutor

Firmware Version Check: No new firmware version available. Firmware Version V1.0.7.62_1

It is fiber modem located outside of the house in the box

3. it only happens on the 5ghz? it doesn't drop on other bands? Have you tried changing what channel the 5ghz is broadcasting on? 

It happens on both 2.4 and 5GHz. I have changed channels multiple times. 2.4 on old devises is extremely slow (kbps). My phone today dropped 5GHz signal every 2-3 min when I was streaming my security camera.

4. if its only happening on 5ghz, are you using the DFS channels? or what channel are you using?

Mostly the default one which is 44 due to some devices do not see DFS channels.

Message 3 of 8
Wxman38
Guide

I found out that Netgear Armor was my problem.  When I manually logged into my router in the Basic settings I saw Armor was enabled.  I didn't enable it when I set the router up, so this is something Netgear did.  However, in order to disable it, I had to put the Nighthawk app on my iPhone and use the menu to go to settings and in the security settings I was able to disable Armor.  Now everything works fine and I don't have to constantly reboot the router.  Hopefully this is your problem too.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@TVLN753 wrote:

Firmware Version Check: No new firmware version available. Firmware Version V1.0.7.62_1

It is fiber modem located outside of the house in the box

It happens on both 2.4 and 5GHz. I have changed channels multiple times. 2.4 on old devises is extremely slow (kbps). My phone today dropped 5GHz signal every 2-3 min when I was streaming my security camera.

Mostly the default one which is 44 due to some devices do not see DFS channels.

Message 5 of 8
TVLN753
Tutor

I turned Armor off day 2. Unfortunately no luck.

Message 6 of 8
TVLN753
Tutor

Yes, after submitting debug logs and working as a router tester for 2 weeks for free I finally gave up. Bought Asus and returning RAXE290 soon.

Message 7 of 8
Wxman38
Guide

I'm still suspicious of Armor being the problem.  All of my connection problems go away simply by restarting the router.  Every program such as iTunes, Macruim Reflect all get internet connections for a short time after the router is turned off and restarted.  Also a URL tvtango.com begins to work.  Then after a period of time which I've yet to determine these sites and programs suddenly have restrictions placed on them.

When I first set up the RAXE290, I did it manually and indicated I didn't want Armor activated.  Occasionally after restarting the router I would still see the popup asking did I want to activate Armor.  It wasn't  until by accident after I used my browser to logon to the router that instead of going to the Advanced tab, I looked at the Basic tab and there it indicated that Armor was enabled.  I never enabled it! This was something that Netgear did in some manner.  So I had to add the Nighthawk app to my iPhone where when I went to settings and then security I was able to turn off the button that 'enabled' Armor.  Now in the Basic settings on the router it displays that Armor is not enabled.  However, if I go back to the Nighthawk app on the iPhone, the button still shows that Armor is off, but at the bottom of that page is a green checkmark  that Armor is 'activated'.  So I think this is still the problem that after some period of time after the reboot Armor actually starts operating again.  The real solution needs to be how do you completely eliminate Armor either from the router, or from some Netgear server that is activating Armor.  

If someone can tell us how to completely eliminate Armor then we should be back in business.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7