× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax75 5ghz issues

aturgear
Star

Rax75 5ghz issues

For some reason my computer is not able to do certain tasks when on the 5ghz network, but operates fine when on the 2.4ghz network. This includes launching the epic game store, or playing Destiny 2. Now lately, my tv, which is hooked up to my 5ghz netowrk, is also having initial boot up issues and not connecting.

To elaborate: I will be on the 5ghz network from the start up and launch either epic or D2, and it works for about 20-30 seconds until I see my wifi icon go from connected to disconnected. Opening a web browser seems to be okay, but apart from that any other program causes my computer to disconnect from the 5ghz network. Again, this only happens on the 5 ghz, not the 2.4.

I've already reached out to laptop manufacturer and did a network and BIOS reset, so I am assuming it has something to do with the router instead.

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: Rax75 5ghz issues

What firmware version are you on? 

What modem is it connected to? 

Did something change? or has it never worked? 

You can try disabling AX 

Message 2 of 13
aturgear
Star

I am using a netgear CM1100. It is at the latest firmware update: V1.0.3.102_1.0.48.

I think it probably has never worked. I at first chalked it up to my computer being dumb, cause it had some weird hdmi issue and needed to restart. But my router is pretty new, bought it back in May. My laptop is pretty new too (September). I don't believe I have the same issues on other 5ghz networks on my laptop.

How do I disable AX?

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

What wireless chip is in the laptop?

And what version driver is the wireless chip using? 

Message 4 of 13
aturgear
Star

It is an Intel(R) AX200 160Mhz. Drive version is 21.90.2.1

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

any other devices having issues with 5ghz? 

I don't suppose you have a spare wireless usb/wireless chip to try in it? 

Message 6 of 13
aturgear
Star

No and no...

Message 7 of 13
aturgear
Star

Any other recommendations? I factory reset my pc, as well as disabled the AX feature on the router. It started working  well for a little bit, but went back to cutting out. It specifically cuts out when running programs like Epic Game Store, or playing a video game like Destiny 2.

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

You can try downgrading the firmare a version on the router. Factory reset and reinstall manually afterwards. 
You can also try disabling ofdma

Message 9 of 13
aturgear
Star

Alright well I'll try those things. If that doesn't work I'll reach out to customer support and try to them to help.

Message 10 of 13
csw3190
Tutor

Don't get your hopes up. I had the same issues. Took multiple calls, 4 hours of hold time, and no solution. They'll walk you through disabling various features, rebooting, factory reset, etc. It's a software issue for which they don't have a fix. I'm waiting for my RMA device, but I am already planning to go to Costco next weekend to return it. Hopefully my replacement ASUS router arrives by then.

Message 11 of 13
aturgear
Star

May I ask how long you have had your unit? I unfortunately have had mine longer than the return policy allows. But I am wondering if they still would accept it. Costco is pretty good about that.

Message 12 of 13
csw3190
Tutor

I had it for 9 days when it started acting up. About 2 weeks or so at this point, so well within the return policy.

Also, an interesting point: Netgear apparently has a policy that you need to return to store if it's within 15 days of purchase; however, Costco has been OOS for a week. I wonder if they were getting too many coming back for these types of issues...

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7