× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Separating or Disabling 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on Mesh WiFi 6 System

Separating or Disabling 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on Mesh WiFi 6 System

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System AX1800  (model number refused to type in, above)

My problem feels simple, though the solution seems elusive.

I have a houseful of  Amazon Echo devices (along with several "smart" switches, a Ring doorbell, a MyQ garage door). I like to play music on ALL of the speakers at the same time, and was able to on my older router. I bought this new router in order to reach the garage door more effectively. After weeks of frustration, I got the garage door hooked in, using the guest network (nothing else would work).

But my Echos will not all join the "everywhere" group, and the problem seems to be the 5ghz vs. 2.4ghz conflict. A wireless printer had the same issue, though I resolved that in a way that eludes  me. Don't care, it works now.

But is there a way to either TURN OFF 5ghz, or split it so that the Echos don't try to join different bands? My understanding was that devices pick the thing that they work with automatically. This has not been my experience.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's driving me up the wall. --Jamie in Reynoldsburg.

Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Separating or Disabling 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on Mesh WiFi 6 System

Hello JamesterReyburg,

The Nighthawk Mesh system currently does not support the feature of separating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 4

Thank you. Any ideas for  Amazon Echo devices that just won't play nice? It's maddening, especially since it used to work just fine. . .   Thanks again. --Jamie

Message 3 of 4

I really am lost, and could use a suggestion (even if it is admitting that my Nighthawk mesh system was an expensive mistake. I've got problems with smart switches that once worked, that no longer want to. Inconsistent connections with my echo devices. The garage door set up was torture. And it all seems to be centered around the 5Ghz/2.4Ghz problem. There is NO WAY to  address this with this system?  Thanks for your initial answer, but  what do OTHER people do in this situation? Thank you. --Jamie

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7