× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shady Support Practice on AX4

carnalimr
Aspirant

Shady Support Practice on AX4

So I bought the AX4 router in October but it turns out that there is only a 90 day support plan included but a 1 year hardware plan. I filed a ticket because this past 2 weeks my router has started to drop the wifi signal every 2 hours. So I am forced to physically unplug and re-plug it back in. I've updated the firmware and checked all the settings and articles online. 

I filed a ticket for the issue and was told that in order to see if I would be eligible for a RMA, I would need to buy a minimum $50 3 month telephone support plan. That plan would let the Netgear folks determine if my router was RMA eligible. So its like a shady trick of having a 1 year hardware replacement as long as you pay them first. 

I am not sure if this is my only option or if I just throw it out and go with a different brand. 

Message 1 of 5
carnalimr
Aspirant

Re: Shady Support Practice on AX4

I requested a refund from Amazon even though its past return period because Netgear won't help out and now ordered a Linksys Wifi 6 router. Really disappointed in how this all played out. 

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@carnalimr wrote:

I filed a ticket for the issue and was told that in order to see if I would be eligible for a RMA, I would need to buy a minimum $50 3 month telephone support plan. That plan would let the Netgear folks determine if my router was RMA eligible. So its like a shady trick of having a 1 year hardware replacement as long as you pay them first. 

Completely wrong - Scam ...!!! There are no three month plans for USD 50, neither at https://gearhead.netgear.com/ or https://prosupport.netgear.com/ - from where ever you have the phone number you called, that was unlikley Netgear. Lots of Scam in the support arena - Google takes even money from Scammers to place thier ads. 

There is no plan required for an RMA request - all online via https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support -> [Contact Support] -> Replace my defective product - all perfectly valid and free during the hardware warranty.

Message 3 of 5
carnalimr
Aspirant

Wish that was the case. The moment you go to the link you suggested with replacement it directs you to call them (see attachment). 

One you call the number they give you they spend about 10 mins talking to you and then say that in order to process and RMA that you need to buy a Gearhead support plan. The plans you outlined in are correct but they offer a 3month one as well over the phone for 49.99. Even when asking for an RMA they would not until they go through a further diagnostic test that requires the gearhead support plan. 

Unless they are lying to me and the website is lying as well? 

Message 4 of 5
carnalimr
Aspirant

So turns out after buying the support plan, I was able to get an RMA shipped out but had to have them cancel the support plan because it was an RMA that was valid. So it took about 2 hours to get the support plan, troubleshoot, order the RMA, beg for a refund, and now have to wait for the new router. This has been a nightmare experience. 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7