× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAN VLAN Tagging for Fiber ONT

msvendsen
Aspirant

WAN VLAN Tagging for Fiber ONT

Hello, I just had Brightspeed fiber installed this past week at my house. The install included them installing a Calix ONT in my house and then connecting their own router to that. The included router is not the best and I would much rather use my RAXE 300 router connected to the ONT instead. I thought this wasn't going to be an issue at all but I have not been able to get this to work as of yet. In order to get this to work I need to set up a VLAN tag to the WAN, the tag needs to be set to 201. I have messed with this for hours but I can't find a way to set VLAN tagging for the WAN ports. It looks like it only let's me do this for the LAN ports which does not work. I think I can get this to work using the provided router in bridge mode and using the netgear as the router, but I'd much rather remove the ISP provided router completely. Please let me know if any third party firmware exists that would allow vlan tagging on the wan. This is such a great router and I would hope there would be a way to do this. Thank you all so much!
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
msvendsen
Aspirant

Re: WAN VLAN Tagging for Fiber ONT

Thank you all, I didn't mention the c4000 at first and mentioned the calix ont because I wanted to connect the netgear directly to the ont using vlan tagging and was not going to use the c4000 at all, this shoud of worked but vlan wan tagging is not supported on the netgear. This forum helped me decide to use the netgear in ap mode, thank you!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 15
msvendsen
Aspirant

Hello and thank you so much for the reply and advice! I have tried doing it like this, however whenever I name the VLAN and set the ID to 201, it has me select the ports to apply it to, it gives me every port but the WAN port to possibly select. I have attached a screenshot here for reference. Any other ideas? Thanks anyone for any help at all.
Message 3 of 15

@msvendsen wrote:
The included router is not the best and I would much rather use my RAXE 300 router connected to the ONT instead.

Did you reset the RAXE300 after the ISP changed your Internet service?

You need to het it to forget any settings it picked up from the old Internet service.

In order to get this to work I need to set up a VLAN tag to the WAN, the tag needs to be set to 201.

Why? Is that something specified by the ISP to get your Internet to work?

Message 4 of 15
msvendsen
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply! I did actually factory reset the router before moving to the new internet service so there shouldn't be any memory from the old service.

My internet service is Brightspeed fiber which was formerly Centurylink Fiber in my area, they require a VLAN tag of 201 in order to connect directly to the ONT, I tried it without the tag and it still does not pull internet. They state that a 3rd party router can be used but it must support VLAN tagging on the WAN which I haven't been able to do. When looking in the provided router settings it has a VLAN tag applied to the WAN which is allowing the provided modem to work with the ONT, I need to be able to do this to the Netgear if at all possible. Thank you all so much for the support!
Message 5 of 15

@msvendsen wrote:
They state that a 3rd party router can be used but it must support VLAN tagging on the WAN which I haven't been able to do.

Does Brightspeed have a user group like this one? Then you could throw that issue at them. That name has not come uyp here before.

I suppose it is too much to ask the ISP for help in setting up routers to work on its network. They are generally technically ignorant and reluctant to help with third party hardware.

One way to get the RAXE300 to work on your network would be to put it into access point mode behind the ISP's router. That disables a lot of features, but at least the WiFi would work. You can also use the router's USB storage in AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 15
msvendsen
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply! Brightspeed acquired Centurylink fiber in my area so I may look at any centurylink user forums as the equipment is the same. The isp does not provide any support at all when using third party equipment unfortunately, other than telling me I have to set VLAN tagging to 201 on the WAN.

I hadn't thought of putting the router in AP mode, I may end up doing this if there is no way to setup WAN vlan tagging for this router.
Message 7 of 15

@msvendsen wrote:
The isp does not provide any support at all when using third party equipment unfortunately, other than telling me I have to set VLAN tagging to 201 on the WAN.

One good reason for signing up with someone else. The pity is that in many markets competition barely exists.

There's quite a lot of stuff here:

set VLAN tagging to 201 - Google Search

Message 8 of 15
msvendsen
Aspirant

Thank you all! I actually just switched from a cable isp to a fiber isp so as far as the internet quality goes I'm much happier. I ended up putting the router in AP mode and turning off the wireless radios on the ISP router. Would I need to do anything to prevent double nat or anything like that? Or does putting the router in AP mode ensure this won't happen? Thank you all! Speeds are looking good using thus method.
Message 9 of 15
msvendsen
Aspirant

Wanted to add the only down side I am seeing is about a 3 or 5ms increase in wireless ping to the first hop compared to using the provided router. Not seeing any increase in ping on the wired side. Thanks again!
Message 10 of 15

@msvendsen wrote:
Or does putting the router in AP mode ensure this won't happen?

Yes. AP mode is one way of dealing with double NAT.

Thank you all! I actually just switched from a cable isp to a fiber isp so as far as the internet quality goes I'm much happier. I ended up putting the router in AP mode and turning off the wireless radios on the ISP router.

Does this mean that you have changed your modem since you started this conversation?

If so, what is that modem? And does it have a modem only "bridge mode" option?

Message 11 of 15
msvendsen
Aspirant

The modem hasn't changed since the start of this conversation, the modem is a Centurylink branded C4000XG fiber modem/router. It has an "IP Pass-through mode" but no actual bridge mode option. I believe ip pass-through may be similar though. Thanks again for all the insight, I greatly appreciate it.
Message 12 of 15

@msvendsen wrote:
The modem hasn't changed since the start of this conversation, the modem is a Centurylink branded C4000XG fiber modem/router.

That's the first time that you have mentioned the make and model number of your  modem/router.

You subjects says "Fiber ONT". Your first message mentioned a Calix ONT.

I can't see in this discussion when you switched from that to the C4000XG.

Is this the same thing that was connected to the Calix ONT?

From the details I have found for the C4000XG, it looks more like a cable modem/router.

Axon C4000 Modem User Guide | CenturyLink

In general, the makers of network devices often use the "C" tag, as in CXXXX, to denote a cable modem.

Unfortunately, the "fiber" tag is meaningless. You'd have a job finding any network without optical fibre in it somewhere. It usually stops some way short of the end user. But that doesn't stop ISPs from use the F word for marketing.

If that is your device, then it is a modem/router. That can complicate setting up the  network, which is why the "what's the modem?" question is a regular here.

If there is no "bridge mode" you may have to work out how to get the RAXE300 to play nicely. So AP mode is probably the best option.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru
msvendsen
Aspirant

Thank you all, I didn't mention the c4000 at first and mentioned the calix ont because I wanted to connect the netgear directly to the ont using vlan tagging and was not going to use the c4000 at all, this shoud of worked but vlan wan tagging is not supported on the netgear. This forum helped me decide to use the netgear in ap mode, thank you!
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7