× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Want to upgrade home network

murius
Initiate

Want to upgrade home network

Upgrades to my network that I was thinking about getting but didn't know if they would help:

• AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30S) Nighthawk® DOCSIS® 3.1 2.7Gbps Two-in-One Cable Modem + WiFi 6
  • NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK83) – AX3600 Router with 2 Satellite Extenders

**Also will the modem/router combo work with the Nighthawk mesh, since it comes with 1 router and 2 satellites?

Current System:

• Google Wifi GEN1 3 beacons
  • TredNET Unmanagement Switch for wired devices
  • ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
  • Internet 500mbps
  • Devices: 23 Wifi / 2 Wired
  • Google Phone
  • iPhone x4
  • Chromebook x2
  • Window Laptop x3
  • Window Desktop x2
  • Smart TV
  • Alexa Cube
  • Chromecast x3
  • Wyze Cams x5
  • Amazon echo Dots x3

Issues:

• Sometimes issues are with my Google phone, not iPhones
  • Sometimes disconnects on Wifi devices, mixed phones and laptops
  • A few times issues with Desktops wired and not with Wifi devices
  • A few times issues with Desktops and a few Wifi devices my my wifes laptop was still connected
  • Another issue is my Smart TV has been buffering a lot at different times of the day/evening. I try to prioritize the device in google home app but it doesn't always work. Mostly I have to power cycle the tv but doesn't always fix the issue
  • *Sometimes issue resolves itself but mostly I have to power cycle my modem. Issue with that is the time it takes to boot back up until internet initializes again
  • **I also heard that devices like my modem and/or switch can over heat and cause latency/crashes but not sure if that is happening
  • ***Issues occur at different times and not specific to week day or weekends.

Purpose of Use:
I working M-F along with my wife at home. We both have Win Laptop running Webex meetings VPN into our work. I also have my desktop going with websites and some streaming throughout the day. My son is on his desktop gaming and streaming, plus streaming on his phone. Ny daughter is streaming on Smart TV and on her phone for most of the day. The evenings and weekends, son and daughter steps don't change but my wife and I are not on our computers but are steaming on the Smart tv.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Want to upgrade home network

The CM2000 is a solid modem. 

Keep in mind it has a 2.5gig port. 

The MK83 doesn't have a 2.5gig port so that'll be its limiting factor. 

If you're only planning on going up to gig speed, the cm1000 is a solid choice. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the CAX30 and the MK83 won't integrate together. 

You can use them at the same time but they won't integrate and be part of a mesh together. 

what speeds do you pay for? 

If you're not looking for greater than gigabit speeds, I'd keep your current modem and just go with the MK83 system. 

Much cheaper and you can always upgrade your modem if you increase your speeds down the road.

And you can add addional satellites if you need it down the road. 

Message 2 of 4
murius
Initiate

My current internet is 500mbps now but may upgrade in the near future. I was also looking at this NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig Cable Modem CM2000 - Compatible with All Cable Providers incl. Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox | for Cable Plans Up to 2.5Gbps | DOCSIS 3.1

to replace my current modem for future growth.

I just want to make sure whatever I go to supports the current list of devices. The google mesh i have now I don't think is doing the job. The other issue was nighthawk vs the orbi as my router is in the basement but I need strong connections in the upstairs.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

The CM2000 is a solid modem. 

Keep in mind it has a 2.5gig port. 

The MK83 doesn't have a 2.5gig port so that'll be its limiting factor. 

If you're only planning on going up to gig speed, the cm1000 is a solid choice. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7