× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless and LAN

cellochiqa
Tutor

Wireless and LAN

We have a Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5200 WIFI Router. The app tells me that we have speeds near 900 Mbps, but most of our devices and computers say that the internet speed is around 50-100 Mbps. The same occurs when my computer is directly next to the router. Additionally, I plugged an ethernet cable into the router and then into my computer and got similar speeds (50-100 Mbps). Is there some feature or setting on my router that I'm missing that is reducing the output speeds for downloading? I would like to be able to use the highspeeds that we are paying for without restriction. Please help.

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Wireless and LAN

What actual router is it? AX5200 is a speed. 

what firmware is on it? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

How are you testing speeds? using the built in speedtest? hardwiring a pc/laptop into it? over wireless?

Message 2 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

Router is RAX48, Firmware V1.0.11.112.

The router is directly connect to the modem via ethernet cable.

I am testing speeds with the nighthawk app to see what the router speeds are, and then to check wireless speeds I have been google searching "internet speed test" and using that. I tried testing it with both an ethernet cable plugged into the router and my computer and then again over wireless with similar results (67Mbps using wifi with computer less than a foot away from router, 93.7 Mbps with ethernet cable plugged into router and computer; again, we get close to 1000 Mbps service, so I am confused why the ethernet cable to my computer does not provide this). Please help me understand and how to improve my speeds.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. what actual model modem is it? 

2. if you look under the wan port statistics, what is it showing for wan port speeds? 

How do I display Internet port statistics on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

3. Are you testing over the 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 2.4ghz is a much slower network. You can disable smart connect and name the 2 networks different so you can test each. 

Message 4 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

1. Netgear Cable Modem CM1000v2. And this is wired to the Router that says it is getting speeds of 900 Mbps.

2. I'm not sure. Is that the DOCSIS information? (It says DOCSIS 3.0 32 DS 8 US and DOCSIS 3.1 2 DS 2 US).

3. I use the 5ghz WIFI connection on my phone and computer that I am testing the speeds of.

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

Take a screen snip of the wan port statistics page. I linked to it in the prior post

Message 6 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

I went to the website, but it isn't a secure page. Is there another secure way to find this info?

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

its because its not a https page.

Its on your internal network. its fine to access

Message 8 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

cellochiqa_0-1658942249117.png

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

You're connecting at gigabit speeds. 

Have you tried a simple factory reset? During the reinstall, test its speeds without changing the default configuration on it. 

Message 10 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

Factory reset is achieved using a paper clip in the little hole, yeah? For like 5-10 seconds? Not just an "unplug it and plug it back in" kind of situation, right?

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

correct

Message 12 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

Yay! That helped. But even on the 5G WIFI connection, my computer gets around 300 Mbps and my wife's computer gets 500 Mbps. Which I suppose is great considering that the signal goes around a fireplace and through a wall, but still. Any suggestions/reasons why my computer is considerably slower with its connection? Any drivers I should be installing for my WIFI to be faster? Thanks for all of your help so far too.

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

what wireless card is in your computer and whats in your wifes? 

A 1x1 antenna device isn't going to have the speed of a 2x2 device. 

Also, distance and obstructions do cause issues with 5ghz as it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much material as 2.4ghz. But its much faster than 2.4ghz. 

Message 14 of 15
cellochiqa
Tutor

I believe my computer has a Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless adapter. My wife has a Realtek RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7