Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best config for Arris modem\router and Orbi RBR40 mesh

swetie42
Follower

Best config for Arris modem\router and Orbi RBR40 mesh

I have 300 meg service thru my ATT Arris BGW320-500 modem\router with an Orbi RBR40 router connected with 2 says. The Arris is WiFi 6ax the Orbi is WiFi 5. In my room with about 23-25 ft distance between them. I get faster speeds in my room from the Arris 30 feet away, that from the Orbi sat in my room 11 ft away. My question is, how can I best use the 2 sets of hardware optimally? That's in terms of setup and hardware settings. I currently have 3 active PC's connected, 2 via WiFi, 1 via Ethernet to the Orbi router. 3 smartphones, 2 WiFi cams, 2 smart speakers, 1 smart light, and 1 Tablo network DVR wired to the Orbi. Any advice on settings, setup, that can improve overall speed distribution is welcome. Happy to answer any questions on specifics.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Best config for Arris modem\router and Orbi RBR40 mesh

The orbi will have better coverage because its a mesh versus the arris will have better speeds closer to it as it has faster built in wifi. Best bet? 

Set them up with 2 different ssids (the arris and the netgear). Have them on different channels to prevent interference. 

Have the orbi in AP (access point) mode to prevent a double nat. 

Then set the devices that are immobile and halfway close to the Arris to connect to that. That takes a bit of burden off the netgear and allows those devices that roam or are at the peripheral to connect to the orbi with the most bandwidth. 

That'll optimize the burden on both and give devices further away or that roam (like phones/tablets/laptops) the netgear with better coverage. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7