Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extend to Wifi to Garage Orbi -> Ubiquiti Bullet M2

GS_Sammy
Aspirant

Extend to Wifi to Garage Orbi -> Ubiquiti Bullet M2

Swapping out my RBR50 with the new RBK852 Wifi6 system.  I have not made the switch yet.  I'm trying to determing my course of action prior.   I want to repurpose my old equipment to extend wireless capability to an external garage.   I want to use the old RBR50 as a separate wireless network for my garage.  I have an Ubiuquity Bullet M2 I used on my boat to get wireless when we were anchored out.  I plan to use the M2 hooked up to the RBR50 in the garage.   The Bullet would connect to my primary networks wireless for access.   I have a few questions:

My understanding is that you can't wirelessly backhaul the old satellite to the new system, but can attach it as long as it is wired.

1. It's not possible to wire the new router to any of the satellites.  Can you you start the wired backhaul from a satellite to another satellite?  Router -> wirelessly -> satellite-> wired -> satellite?  

2. Has anyone done anything similar?

I'd prefer not to purchase the Orbi Outdoor Extender (RBS50Y) so I can repurpose what I have.  The old system is only 3 years old and has worked flawlessly.   

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extend to Wifi to Garage Orbi -> Ubiquiti Bullet M2

Orbi AC is not fully compatible at this time with Orbi AX. You can connect RBS AC wired to Orbi AX is all.

You can connect a RBS50Y to the Orbi AX in extender mode wireleslly. 

Also EX7500 and EX7700 extenders work with Orbi AX.

Please be sure to post about any Orbi AX questions or information over in the Orb AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 4
GS_Sammy
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Orbi AC is not fully compatible at this time with Orbi AX. You can connect RBS AC wired to Orbi AX is all.  

- Understand that it's not fully compatible.  Can you wire backhaul from AX satellite to AC satellite?

You can connect a RBS50Y to the Orbi AX in extender mode wireleslly.  - Understand, but the RBS50Y is ridiculously over priced for what you get.  Not interested in doing that when I can repurpose hardware.  

Also EX7500 and EX7700 extenders work with Orbi AX.  - Appreciate it, I'll have to look at these.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't tried the RBS50 to the RBS850 wired. Something that you can try and see. The RBS50 directly connected to the RBR850 does work though. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7