Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CRAZY!!! - No Clear way to change or add "My Trusted Devices" in "Two-Factor Authentication" in App

TheBroker
Initiate

CRAZY!!! - No Clear way to change or add "My Trusted Devices" in "Two-Factor Authentication" in App

I've searched and seen the threads but no clear way of adding a new phone (iPhone) and deleting an old phone (Android) "Primary" from "My Trusted Devices" in app. This is nuts. Should be a simple thing, but instead, you're forced to waste time on the forum looking for a solution. I've been at it for over an hour and no one seems to have a solution. I did see one response to send serial and model number but no posted solution.....incredible.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
SFOrbi
Initiate

Re: CRAZY!!! - No Clear way to change or add "My Trusted Devices" in "Two-Factor Auth

I experienced the same frustration ... and was able to resolve by:

Uninstalling the Orbi app from my iPhone.

Running a manual setup.

At the end of that process, it asked whether I wanted my verification code sent to my email or phone. Always before email was the only thing that worked. This time it actually sent a verification code to my iPhone.  Then it said my Orbi was already set up so I went back to the Dashboard.  All works!

Note that this process included following their instructions to disconnect the Orbi from the modem and power cycle the modem, then plug your Orbi back in to the modem. Never had to touch my satellite - not even to re-sync.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
DLS94
Initiate

Re: CRAZY!!! - No Clear way to change or add "My Trusted Devices" in "Two-Factor Auth

Hi,

I was having the same issue and was not able to add my new device. I deleted and reinstalled the Nighthawk app. While going through the steps to set up the app again it prompted me to add ("trust") my new device. The new device appeared in the options for the two-step verification. I made the new device my primary one then deleted the old device. And it finally worked after wasting several hours trying other options.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 9
Heikkilunta
Aspirant

The installation of Nighthawk allowed me to add a new trusted device.  My Orbi routers are not supported by the Nighthawk app, but the it did work.  So I was able to delete my old iPhone as a primary trusted device.  Make my new phone a trusted device in the Orbi app and then delete Nighthawk..  I imagine the same would have worked if I deleted and reinstalled the Orbi app, but was concerned about what I might lose if I do that.  Anyway.   A clunky but effective work  around.  Would like to see the app fixed to accomodate changes like this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about and ask for there help and information. 

@TheBroker wrote:

I've searched and seen the threads but no clear way of adding a new phone (iPhone) and deleting an old phone (Android) "Primary" from "My Trusted Devices" in app. This is nuts. Should be a simple thing, but instead, you're forced to waste time on the forum looking for a solution. I've been at it for over an hour and no one seems to have a solution. I did see one response to send serial and model number but no posted solution.....incredible.

Message 4 of 9
TheBroker
Initiate

No worries. I ended up buying the Google Nest Wifi. Way better and easier to deal with. Have fun guys!

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 9
Babbalue
Initiate

yep- there is no other way to change the trusted device but to re-install the app.  good luck all.

Message 7 of 9
SFOrbi
Initiate

I experienced the same frustration ... and was able to resolve by:

Uninstalling the Orbi app from my iPhone.

Running a manual setup.

At the end of that process, it asked whether I wanted my verification code sent to my email or phone. Always before email was the only thing that worked. This time it actually sent a verification code to my iPhone.  Then it said my Orbi was already set up so I went back to the Dashboard.  All works!

Note that this process included following their instructions to disconnect the Orbi from the modem and power cycle the modem, then plug your Orbi back in to the modem. Never had to touch my satellite - not even to re-sync.

Hope this helps!

Message 8 of 9
DDWING
Initiate

Thanks, After removing and reinstalling app I was able to add my new device and delete the old one. I did not have to do anything with modem or Orbi. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series