Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Potential Renaming Bug in Orbi 970 Firmware

tpgnavy85
Aspirant

Potential Renaming Bug in Orbi 970 Firmware

This report is actually for the Orbi 970 product, running latest firmware.

Newly installed this weekend, and one of the attached devices cannot be renamed at all in the browser interface.  Refuses to change my assigned name, cannot change device type either.

Device name I assigned is:  'Philips Hue Bridge 2nd Gen'.  At this point, I cannot change the name, shorten it, nor change any of the device attributes (e.g. from a controller, to a laptop, as an example).

I am betting this is a firmware bug, and while minor since the device still operates on the network, it cannot be seen nor managed in the Orbi app at this point (e.g. non-discoverable).  It is attached to the network via ethernet (wired).

Anyone else seeing something similar?  @netgear, please document this as a potential bug to address in firmware updates for this new Orbi platform.

Thank you, tpgnavy85

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Potential Renaming Bug in Orbi 970 Firmware

Ok. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you change it in the WEB UI?

Happens with different browsers? 

I would check with the Mfr first to see if there devices are changeable in this regard. Possible they may not allow for this to be changed thus populates to the RBR change ability. 

You can contact NG support and open a support ticket to let them know is best suggestion.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Or file a bug report thru Orbi App. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

@ netgear tag doesn't notify anyone FYI. Hasn't been accessed in years. 

Message 2 of 9
tpgnavy85
Aspirant

Web UI is where I have been trying to change any attributes, to no avail.  2 different browsers from different platforms, and neither can change the attributes going into the Web UI for the router.

I will log an issue with Netgear as well, wasn't sure if they have engineers monitoring this community and may want to weigh in.

Thank you, tpgnavy85

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@tpgnavy85 wrote:

Newly installed this weekend, and one of the attached devices cannot be renamed at all in the browser interface.  Refuses to change my assigned name, cannot change device type either.  

Only this single device?

When you click on the device description, the editing box does not appear?

The box appears, but you cannot type in the fields, nor activate the pull down menu?

Entries can be changed, but clicking Apply does not work?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Check with the Mfr of that device as well. Possible they may not allow a change or the router is seeing that itself can't change it. Or could be a bug. Keep us posted. 

Message 5 of 9
tpgnavy85
Aspirant

Yes, only on this one device, everything else is fine.  I try to adjust the entries for 'Device Model', 'Device Name', or change a device attribute (e.g. from Controller to Laptop), hit 'APPLY', nothing changes at all on the device attribute after that.

I would be willing to bet $5 that the character length or characters being used in the naming in either the Device Model or Device Name are the problem here, and can only be fixed with a firmware update.  The fact that I seem to have maxed out the characters being used in the Device Model or Device Name, I think, the firmware isn't handling that right.

This would be much of an issue as the device operates properly on the network.  However, in this state, the device is not discoverable in the Orbi app and cannot be managed as such.  It is a wired device on my network backbone and not a wireless device going through the Orbi WIFI system.

Thanks, tpgnavy85

Message 6 of 9
tpgnavy85
Aspirant

Update for this thread.  Trying a physical wired disconnect of the device from the network bridge, waited 5 minutes, plugged it back in, and Orbi rediscovered it as a new device, and is now working and managed as expected.  Go figure!

Still think it may have been a management bug in the firmware, since I could see it clearly in the Web UI, and could not change it at all.  But essentially starting from scratch by unplugging and replugging it back in, working fine and managed like you should be able to do.  Including a brief test to rename some of the attributes, Applying, and changing back, worked as expected.

Case closed, but sure seems like a weird anomaly. 

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@tpgnavy85 wrote:

It is a wired device on my network backbone and not a wireless device going through the Orbi WIFI system.

This is connected to a LAN port on one of the Orbi units, or to an Ethernet switch which is connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports, correct?

(which is why it appears on the display of Attached Devices)

(not having a 970 system.....) My older Orbi router exhibits a similar frustrating behavior:

Changes to Attached Devices are not reflected instantly.  Experimented with a printer by changing the product model number and device name to 30 character entries ("xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3"). Changed device type to laptop. Click Apply, and the display did not update to show new information.  WTF???  Hit Refresh a couple of times, and the display updated (eventually).

Thus, my impression is that this is not a new behavior on the 970, but is a consequence of the way the web interface updates internal tables and the timing of pulling information from the internal tables to produce the web page display.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7