Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2nd satellite brings down network intermittently

Viking68
Follower

2nd satellite brings down network intermittently

I had the same problems. Seems I did find a workaround for this even if I have the feeling that there might be still a bug in the most recent firmware. The investigation was painful and time consuming as I don't have a fallback network.

The 1st satellite is connected by wire, the 2nd wireless.

The whole thing started when I separated the net in 3 parts using VLANs: family, business and entertainment

As the 2nd one is placed at an open space I decided to move all four LAN ports to a VLAN with client and network isolation.

As of a sudden the 2nd satellite started to mash up, stalling the whole network including internet access about every 5min. This was also visible by pinging the IP-addresses of the satellites. By adding a wire to the 2nd satellite this got even worse. Its LED turned magenta and the Internet connection for WLAN stalled totally. The routers LAN surprisingly kept going. I didn't investigate on the 1st satellites' LAN.

As soon as I moved all LAN ports on all satellites back to the default VLAN (in fact I returned to my initial configuration) everything started to work again. Now even the wired connection to the 2nd satellite works as described.

I think there is a bug in the FW as in my opinion all LAN ports of a satellite should be freely configurable for VLAN (if not used for wired backhaul of course).

If this works as intended please point me to some documentation on how to properly us VLANs on these devices.

My hardware is a SXR30 router plus 2 SXS30 satellites. FW version V4.2.3.102

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Viking68 wrote:

I think there is a bug in the FW as in my opinion all LAN ports of a satellite should be freely configurable for VLAN (if not used for wired backhaul of course).

Reads more like an unexpected side effect merging the wired wireless backhaul VLAN when associating the (satellite only?) LAN ports with certain VLAN, or lack of a configuration consistency test. this should never happen, regardless on the admin does configure individual satellite and/or LAN ports, regardless if the satellite(s) and/or the router does operate on a wired or wireless backhaul. This situation must be properly captured and avoided.  

@Viking68 wrote:

If this works as intended please point me to some documentation on how to properly us VLANs on these devices.

Unlikely works as intended of course.

@BruceGuo please. So obvious - the VLANs can be easily mixed up on such mixed installations.

@YeZ  That's the price for not giving Netgear's pro networking beta cracks the opportunity ever beta test any Orbi Pro systems. 

Message 2 of 6
timecode
Guide

Please see my post here.

I had the testers confirm that there is an issue with 2 (or more) satellites connected.  This is with SXK80 kit in AP mode.

Likely the same issue.  Just awaiting an updated firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/SXK80-Satellites-turn-pink-as-soon...

Message 3 of 6
hermesromeror
Apprentice

Hi @timecode 

Were you able to solve the issue?

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
timecode
Guide

Still awaiting a firmware update.