Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Far from advertised speeds (SXR80/SXS80)

thomatrix
Aspirant

Far from advertised speeds (SXR80/SXS80)

Hi all,

new here, so be nice 🙂

I have the SXR80 router with two SXS80's and I am not getting anywhere near the speeds advertised. Even when I connnect to the router and stand right next to it I only get 280 - 300 Mbps down and half that up via Wifi.

I have a 1000/1000 Mbps line and get around 920-940 Mbps up/down cabled. The Ookla Speedtest result that test the speed of the internet connection via the Insight app confirm these numbers - so the line in is just fine...

I have mainly tested speeds using my iPhone 13 Pro Max but have also tested using other devices. Wifi results are consistently hovering around the sub 300 Mbps mark.

Here some additional info:

Hardware Version SXR80
Firmware Version V3.3.0.122
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.417

Not sure what else to share - any clues here in the community? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Far from advertised speeds (SXR80/SXS80)

How is the orbi wifi configured? Using single SSID name and PW? 

Is the mobile phone connected to the SXR or SXS when speed testing? Should be connected to the SXR for speed testing and accuracy

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What connection rates are you seeing on the iPHone with WiFiSweetSpots app loaded on the phone while connected to the SXR? 

@thomatrix wrote:

Hi all,

new here, so be nice 🙂

I have the SXR80 router with two SXS80's and I am not getting anywhere near the speeds advertised. Even when I connnect to the router and stand right next to it I only get 280 - 300 Mbps down and half that up via Wifi.

I have a 1000/1000 Mbps line and get around 920-940 Mbps up/down cabled. The Ookla Speedtest result that test the speed of the internet connection via the Insight app confirm these numbers - so the line in is just fine...

I have mainly tested speeds using my iPhone 13 Pro Max but have also tested using other devices. Wifi results are consistently hovering around the sub 300 Mbps mark.

Hardware Version SXR80

Not sure what else to share - any clues here in the community? Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 9
blunderdome85
Apprentice

Note - this is all assuming that you're using Ookla (speedtest.net) to get your test results.

I had similiar results with my SXK80 when I first set it up.  Ookla was reporting ~300mbps up/down on mobile devices connected to the main router when standing just a few feet away.  Internet connection itself is ~1000mbps up/down and ethernet speeds were as expected.

What I found was that Ookla seemed to be the issue.  In other words, the test results were inaccurate.

Start by trying a file transfer from a wired device on your LAN to your mobile device and see what speeds you get.  This should eliminate any issues with the testing servers/internet connection and give you a good baseline for what your wifi connection is capable of.  I found that the same devices that were reporting 300mbps down on Ookla were getting ~800mbps during LAN file transfers.

If things look good there start trying other speed tests and see how consistent the results are.  What I found was that while Ookla was reporting ~300mbps, fast.com and Google's speed tests both reported much higher speeds in the ~600-700mbps range.

Finally, try some of the other servers available to you via Ookla.  Ultimately what I found was that the test servers it kept connecting me to were bottlenecking my testing.  When I tested a few other nearby servers I ended up mirroring the results I was seeing using the other testing platforms.

Message 3 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@thomatrix wrote:

Hi all,

new here, so be nice 🙂

What speeds do you get using the ionternal GUI or app speed test?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

@thomatrix wrote:

Hi all,

new here, so be nice 🙂

Hardware Version SXR80

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
thomatrix
Aspirant

How is the orbi wifi configured? Using single SSID name and PW? 

Just used the standard config - Single SSID and PW

Is the mobile phone connected to the SXR or SXS when speed testing? Should be connected to the SXR for speed testing and accuracy

When testing I am standing 1 meter (3 feet) away from the SXR and have turned off the 2x SXS to be 100% sure that I am connected to the SXR

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Right now I would like to understand why the speeds are so low when I am right next to the router (just to tackle one issue at the time 🙂 )

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

We live in an area with very little wifi "polution" from neighbors. I have not yet tried changing the settings and assumed that when I stand next to the SXR and can only find our own SSID it should deliver expected speeds?

Message 6 of 9
thomatrix
Aspirant

What speeds do you get using the ionternal GUI or app speed test?

Here a screenshot from the native app speed test that shows the "raw" speed.

So the speed from the ISP is >900 Mbps and on wifi I max out at around 200-400 Mbps when standing right next to the router.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@thomatrix please take the valid @blunderdome85 hints into your testing efforts, e.g. check the speed yon your local network, or use an alternate speeed test app and cloud platform please.

Message 8 of 9
thomatrix
Aspirant

@schumaku - please note that the +900 Mbps screenshot is with Ookla.

In fact I have tested all the suggested sites and services and Ookla has consistently been the fastest (with different servers).

So - We have little to no Wi-Fi pollution, everything is setup accordingly to the setup wizard, I stand right next to the router and speeds are nowhere near what they should be at.

Any suggestions?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements