× Get weekly deals on business products. Shop Ethernet Switches and more In the NETGEAR Store
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors

Get Orbi Pro now

Orbi Pro Support

Login to discuss Orbi Pro

Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Orbi Pro Firmware Update for Guest Network Isolation

Orbi Pro - Firmware-hdr.pngAttached you will find a Firmware Update for the Orbi Pro. This firmware for Orbi Pro fixes the client isolation.

This Firmware release will fix the traffic isolation issue between the guest network and the other networks for Orbi Pro. With this FW update, all communication between these networks has been blocked to assure a complete isolation among the 3 SSIDs. Please provide us your feedback.

Thank you,

-NETGEAR Business Community Team

Download Orbi Pro Firmware 2.1.4.8 with Client isolation

Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Pro Firmware Update for Guest Network Isolation

Please provide this fix for non-Pro version.  There is a separate thread for that which I've responded to, but it seems prudent to leave the same request in this thread.

Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

Well, the Orbi Pro customers tend do expect for the employee network something like BYOD capabilities (with some simple custom access rights to the primary LAN and WLAN - not just the Internet) while the consumer Orbi customers should have the right to get proper isolation, too. Both will unlikely happen, Netgear does continue to play difficult denying the requirements. Updating the marketing and product documentation was chosen instead. I'm still convinced deploying proper 802.1q VLAN and proper firewalling capabilities (simplified for Orbi, more flexible for Orbi Pro using L2 or L3 technology) under the hood - predefined for and simple manageable for Orbi and Orbi Pro would be the appropriate way to enhance both Orbi product lines.

There is nothing wrong with the "simplicity" and famous Orbi and Orbi Pro design for using a plain wireless backhaul, especially with the more expensive units with an additional backhaul radio. Reality has come to the play in the meanwhile, because Netgear had to realize that plain wireless backhaul might be workable just to some extent, even with the higher power 5 GHz channels the throughput of the system is limited with many building construction systems - and a wireless backhaul capability was added following community feedback.

Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

Why is this not auto picked up by the router when it looks for new firmware?
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NickJV,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Firmware v2.1.4.8 is a fix for the traffic isolation issue between guest network and the other networks.  

A new firmware has been officially released for the Orbi Pro router and Orbi Pro satellite which is v2.1.4.16.  This newly released firmware also includes the fix for the multicast and broadcast traffic between the main host and guest. 

For more information, you can read the release notes as well as download it here then manually upgrade the firmware of your Orbi Pro device.  This will also be available for automatic firmware updates for the Orbi Pro.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

Minutes after posting my reply I received the firmware update in the advanced section. Running for a day or so now without issues on .16, thanks for the reply!
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@NickJV,

Thank you for the update.  I'm glad to know that you were able to received the firmware update and I'm glad that you have no issues using the new firmware version. Smiley Happy 

Since your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

As I was a reply/question on someone else's thread, I don't have that ability. As well, there was not really a solution with steps. All I did was download this firmware version, tried to install it, then I received a notice that .16 was ready.
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

Guest employee network isolation is scheduled to be added in an upcoming Orbi Pro release. Confirming with engineering this is scheduled early Q4.

Message 9 of 9