× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi SXK50 VLAN - can't connect devices

vt_hokie2008
Aspirant

Orbi SXK50 VLAN - can't connect devices

I just purchased the Orbi and transitioned over to it last night. My primary SSID works very well, however my other SSIDs, which are on separate VLANs (using the default VLANs, did not add any on my own), aren't working so well. I am on the latest firmware.

I have three SSID's enabled:

1. Regular wifi for my devices
  2. Guest network
  3. IOT (wifi switches, wifi connected appliances, etc)

After setting everything up, I started connecting my wifi devices to the IOT network. The first few connected quickly, but then everything I was trying would fail to connect (same type of devices, such as multiple Kasa Mini Plugs). My Nest thermostats and doorbell would not connect, but would quickly connect to my primary wifi without issue. After each setting change, it seemed I could get one or two more devices connected before it stopped accepting any more (I did end up getting my Nest thermostats and doorbell connected).

Currently, I'm unable to add more devices to the Guest SSID or the IOT SSID. Attempting to do so results in the SSID actually disappearing from available networks and it reappears in 30 seconds or so. 

I'm not sure what to try next. 

Message 1 of 3
vt_hokie2008
Aspirant

Re: Orbi SXK50 VLAN - can't connect devices

One additional detail to add: I can no longer connect my phone to the IOT SSID either. I get a message back stating it could not obtain an IP. 

Is there a limit on IP reservations within a VLAN?

Message 2 of 3
vt_hokie2008
Aspirant

Re: Orbi SXK50 VLAN - can't connect devices

More info after troubleshooting tonight: if I remove the VLAN from the wireless configuration, everything connects perfectly.

This obviously defeats the purpose of isolating things between SSIDs. I'm not sure what I'm missing (screenshots below, pretty much out of the box settings).Screenshot 2022-12-20 212724.png

Screenshot 2022-12-20 213025.png

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series