Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi SXR80 and IPTV from ISP Telenor

ThomasNorway
Aspirant

Orbi SXR80 and IPTV from ISP Telenor

Hello

We experience problems with IPTV provided from Telenor, wich is a Norwegian ISP which also delivers IPTV via a box connected to internet.

The TV box is connected to a Orbi satallite with cable. The satallite is connected to router with cable via a switch. The TV works, but falls out quite often (mayby every 5-10 minutes). It often comes back after a few minutes, or we can restart the TV box. 

If we stream TV with for example Netflix, there are no problems. Internet signal is stable and fast (500 mbit/s).

Telenor has provided a new box, but the problem remains. I think the problem is with router or router settings. I have read other similar posts, and the problem has been solved by a firmware update from Netgear.

Below you can see our current settings. 

I hope someone has the same problem with a sollution. Thank you in advance. 

WAN Settings.jpg 

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi SXR80 and IPTV from ISP Telenor

Maximum confusion for me now, as there is no NAT configuration similar to the older Nighthawk routers, allowing to configure a dedicated IPTV LAN there. Definitively need Netgear assistance here please (considering the community know-how tells us there is no IGMP snooping available on the Orbi systems.  8-/

@BruceGuo and @hnagaraju please - certainly on the Orbi Pro implementation side at least.

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Curiosity question: Is the TV box connected to the SXR80 router on a LAN port (and on the default VLAN 1) or on the SXS80?

Message 3 of 8
ThomasNorway
Aspirant

Hi

The TV box is connected to SXS with LAN cable. Both SXS are connected to SXR with LAN cable. 

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

I still fear the SXR80 is still limited to the same config options like the R9000 for example (and many other Netgear routers before and since...) on the Bridge Group ans VLAN Tag Group:

IPTV Bridge Group.PNGVLAN Tag Group.PNGVLAN Tag Group - Edit.PNG

Said this: In either way, all you can do is assign one (or multiple) LAN ports of the router, where you could connect the IPTV Settop box. And No: This IPTV VLAN can (sill!) not leave the router e.g. over the wired or wireless backhaul - the Orbi Whole Home system is limited in this aspect, the IPTV network is not tightly integrated in the similar way ISP provided routers do, where user can add either direct connected IPTV Settop boxe(s), or add a switch (configured to support IGMP Multicast). 

@ThomasNorway - that's why I've asked ref. your Orbi Pro SXR80. Are there no similar controls on your router? The SRS router would bring the VLAN support for the LAN 8-/

I wish Netgear would take more attention on such "basics", making the Orbi systems more useful and easier to integrate. That's all for now folks. 

Message 5 of 8
ThomasNorway
Aspirant

Hello and thanks for answering!

So, with your suggested configuration as described below, I need to plug the TV box directly to the router on the assigned port?

The problem with that, is that the router is located on the 1st floor, and the TV box is on the 3rd floor. 
See arrangement below.

router.jpg

Infrastruktur.jpg

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@ThomasNorway wrote:

So, with your suggested configuration as described below, I need to plug the TV box directly to the router on the assigned port?

Yes, this is the only approach I can see currently.

@ThomasNorway wrote:

The problem with that, is that the router is located on the 1st floor, and the TV box is on the 3rd floor. 
See arrangement below.

Would love to suggest a better solution 8-) Operating a slightly more complex network on a similar wiring infrastructure, at the price of using Smart switches, fully supporting IGMP multicast, dedicated VLANs all through the house, including one VLAN for IPTV - this allows me to connect ISP provided TV boxes in each room 

Message 7 of 8
ThomasNorway
Aspirant

Thanks again!

Do you think configuration could work?

Telenor can provide a router that they say will work with IPTV.

Infrastruktur 2.jpg

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements