Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding not working - RDP works on LAN

JonHendrix
Tutor

Port forwarding not working - RDP works on LAN

Hi everyone,

I've found many similar discussions about this topic, but none of them offered a working solution or didn't apply to my network situation. So I will try again with this thread, hoping to find a solution.

I've got a Orbi SRK60 Pro containing a Router and one satelite. It replaced a TP-Link Archer Router. It is placed behind a fiber-modem/router supplied by my ISP (Netherlands, KPN, type: experiabox v8). This ISP modem is in bridged mode. I've setup the Orbi as a Router. It's firmware is: V2.6.2.200.

For many years I've got the RDP port forwarded to my workstation at home with various routers, the last one being that TP-Link.

My laptop (Dell XPS) can ping & RDP into the Workstation without any problems. Also from the Workstation I can RDP into the Dell XPS laptop. So internally, over the LAN, all seems fine.

However, trying to use port 3389 from the outside (Internet) doesn't work. The things I tried/checked:
- Network on Worksation is set to private network

- Disabled Firewall on the Workstation

- Disabled uPNP on the Orbi:

Screenshot 2021-04-11 132620.jpg 

- Setup a port forward:

Screenshot 2021-04-11 132738.jpg

- Switched between "Secured" and "Open" at the WAN-settings > NAT Filtering options.

After this, checking the canyouseeme.org tool still does not expose 3389. 

Does it have any effect that the Workstation is wired to the Satelite? This satelite has a wired backhaul to the Orbi router.

Many thanks in advance for your time and effords.

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JonHendrix
Tutor

Re: Port forwarding not working - RDP works on LAN

tl;dr; Found it. Fixed it. Updated the DMZ configuration in the bridged-modem.

The Modem I got from the ISP (as mentioned in the first post) is very, very, very old. Any resources about putting this in Bridged mode are from 2009-2015 and are note all inclusive.

I tried reading it all again, from scratch. Also read this post by a guy named Frank. Then I noticed the ip address in the DMZ configuration was not the same as my new Orbi Router. Changed that and it worked immediately.

Print-screen from the configuration value I've updated:

Screenshot 2021-04-11 175550.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
JonHendrix
Tutor

Update: I've also re-added a HTTP webserver that worked on the previous TP-Link router, currenlty works internally, but is not available through port forwarding. So this topic isn't isloted to just RDP port.

Message 2 of 3
JonHendrix
Tutor

tl;dr; Found it. Fixed it. Updated the DMZ configuration in the bridged-modem.

The Modem I got from the ISP (as mentioned in the first post) is very, very, very old. Any resources about putting this in Bridged mode are from 2009-2015 and are note all inclusive.

I tried reading it all again, from scratch. Also read this post by a guy named Frank. Then I noticed the ip address in the DMZ configuration was not the same as my new Orbi Router. Changed that and it worked immediately.

Print-screen from the configuration value I've updated:

Screenshot 2021-04-11 175550.jpg

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements