Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fiber Modem and Orbi connectivity problem

bmwr75
Star

Fiber Modem and Orbi connectivity problem

Recently purchased the Netgear Orbi RBK753S High-Performance Whole Home Mesh WiFi System from Amazon.  Cannot get it to work when connected directly via ethernet cable to my Adtran SDX 621 fiber modem.   

If I connect the fiber modem to the wifi router that came with the Adtran modem from my ISP and then to the Orbi router via a LAN ethernet connection, it works fine (wifi radio turned off on the ISP router). 

BUT, am unable to configure remote access to my NAS file server when going through the ISP provided wifi router because it cannot be put in bridged mode (locked out of that function in the Admin menu).

Any suggestion on what to try to eliminate the need for the ISP provided wifi router?

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
bmwr75
Star

Re: Fiber Modem and Orbi connectivity problem

My ISP did an update on their fiber modem ONT and the Netgear Orbi started working as it should after a restart.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

MIght start with the Adtran community forum: https://supportcommunity.adtran.com 

Search the knowledgebase for things like "how to connect wifi router"

Or, a call to the ISP tech support line.  Surely you are not the first customer to want to remove the router.

What model of WiFi router did the ISP provide?

How is the WiFi function disabled (web interface or button on the case)?

I agree completely.  Two routers (Double NAT) make remote access to NAS very difficult.

(along with a host of other potential issues)

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

another approach is to try connecting a computer directly to the ONT with an ethernet cable and see what happens

Message 3 of 17
bmwr75
Star

Called my ISP today and tech support said many of their customers use their own routers and mine should work fine.  FYI - the Google Mesh router this Orbi replaced didn't work either when connected directly to the fiber modem via ethernet cable.

I turned off the radio on the ISP provided router in the router's set up menu.

Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

sometimes it helps to power off the ONT, attach the WiFi router, power on the ONT, (wait a minute until the network light comes on), then power on the WiFi router (Orbi).  Enter the Orbi web management interface and see what it says about the WAN connection.

Message 5 of 17

Could/should have been answered where you first posted this problem:

Solved: Adtran SDX 621 fiber modem and Netgear Orbi RBR750... - NETGEAR Communities

Stuff added there to the sage advice from @CrimpOn.

Message 6 of 17
bmwr75
Star

@CrimpOn wrote:

sometimes it helps to power off the ONT, attach the WiFi router, power on the ONT, (wait a minute until the network light comes on), then power on the WiFi router (Orbi).  Enter the Orbi web management interface and see what it says about the WAN connection.

Thanks for the recommendation, tried it and did not work.  Orbi admin screen said no internet connection.   Also tried the other suggested power up sequence suggested in the other duplicate thread and it didn't work either.   Have got a help ticket started with my ISP now.

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask the ISP if there is any user account settings needed for there ONT to connect with external routers. Not sure if your ISP may have this or not. Usually Fiber ISPs is mostly DHCP up to the ONT and no account information needed. 

Hope they can figure it out. 

Message 8 of 17
bmwr75
Star

Contact my ISP tech support yesterday.  They said they need to install a new "package" so I can use a third party router.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 17

@bmwr75 wrote:

Contact my ISP tech support yesterday.  They said they need to install a new "package" so I can use a third party router.

Result.

Why didn't they say that when you first talked to them?

Called my ISP today and tech support said many of their customers use their own routers and mine should work fine.

Yet more proof that ISPs don't always know how their own systems work.

I hope they don't expect you to pay more money.

Did you ever say which ISP this is?

Message 11 of 17
bmwr75
Star

My local electric power company ACE Electric/ACE Fiber is the ISP.

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

@bmwr75 wrote:

Message 13 of 17
bmwr75
Star

My ISP did an update on their fiber modem ONT and the Netgear Orbi started working as it should after a restart.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 17
bmwr75
Star

The fix was all done by my ISP inside their fiber modem.  I didn't have to change anything in my router.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

It's nice when you don't have to do anything to the router. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7