Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Garage Enclosure and Ring

skremer62
Aspirant

Garage Enclosure and Ring

I recently bought the Orbi 960 (RBKE963B) series.  To increase coverage outside I will be hard-wiring a back-haul to the garage.  However, the garage is not currently heated/cooled so over the past couple years the temperature has varied from 16 degrees Fahrenheit to 132 degrees Fahrenheit which is outside of the 32-104 range.  So what outdoor thermostat enclosures are available that can protect this Orbi 960 from the temperatures?  Or is there a different extender option I could plug in that will seamlessly work with the Orbi mesh system?  I am also looking at heating/cooling options as well or if anyone has recommendations on this as well.

Also, for my ring doorbell to work I had to open the NAT Filtering.  I was going to install more ring devices but have seen instances where individuals have issues with these devices.  I have also seen issues with Google video devices so wasn't sure if one was better over the other in terms of working with the Orbi mesh systems.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Garage Enclosure and Ring

Attached Garage or separate building?
Message 2 of 5
skremer62
Aspirant

The garage is attached.
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The low temperature doesn't worry me much at all. And, there are simple solutions for that (because the satellite has to have electrical power).

• Put the satellite in a cardboard or plastic box.
  • Put a regular heating pad under it, with
  • A means to turn the heating pad on when the temperature drops under 32 degrees
  • Such as a Smart Plug.

It's the 132 temperature that is more of a concern.  Ordinarily, I would say, "aim a fan at it."  If the outside temperature is not as hot, a simple duct with a fan to pull outside air in and blow it over the satellite would probably do the job.  (I have a similar issue that my garage gets too hot to work out in during the summer, and I'm considering adding an exhaust fan up high to pull hot air out and let cooler air in.)  I've had an RBS40V in the garage for two summers and it did OK.  If it gets fried, I'm only out $99 (they were on sale at Amazon years ago.)  An RBSE960 is a TON more money.

(I had originally thought about a small insulated duct from the house, through the garage to the satellite, and back to the house with a small in-duct fan (search Amazon for "inline booster fan for hvac")  The biggest issue there is the house/garage walls are almost certainly fire-rated and running duct work through them is a building code issue.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@skremer62 wrote:

Also, for my ring doorbell to work I had to open the NAT Filtering.  I was going to install more ring devices but have seen instances where individuals have issues with these devices.  I have also seen issues with Google video devices so wasn't sure if one was better over the other in terms of working with the Orbi mesh systems.

I do not recall seeing this mentioned in terms of the 960 product.  Why would a Ring product have a problem with NAT?  Every consumer router does this.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7