Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I disable "Node Jumping" on an Orbit Tri-band WiFi 6 System

gtbecksr
Aspirant

How do I disable "Node Jumping" on an Orbit Tri-band WiFi 6 System

I have an Acurite Atlas direct to WiFi Weather system and it keep dropping the connection after about 30 minutes.  Their support personnel advised me to disable Node Jumping and I can't find anything about it or how to do it.  

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I disable "Node Jumping" on an Orbit Tri-band WiFi 6 System

Something that is not a user changeable feature on Orbi systems. Roaming or jumping is all done at the client device level. Something that Orbi systems don't have any control over. 

What model Orbi system do you have?

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 2 of 6
gtbecksr
Aspirant

My Orbi router is Model RBR750. By RBS are you referring to the satellites?  If so I have one router and two satellites. There is about 30 between the devices. They are connected wirelessly. My home is about 3000 Sqft. 

I have not tried to turn off any satellites.  I will try and see if that helps. The firmware version on my router is V4.6.14.3_2.3.12.  The modem is from Spectrum Cable,  It is labeled with their name so I don't know who the manufacturer is. It looks like the model number may be ES225i . The Orbi router is connected to the modem via the ethernet cable that was provided with the Orbi bundle.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Let us know if the device keeps connected with just the RBR. If So, turn on ONE RBS and try again. 

Something else you can do to see if you can steer the device to a particular signal, turn down the transmit power on the RBR from 100% to say 50% or 25%. See if this helps keep the device connected to it's closest signal source. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

After checking all this, you might update FW on the system at some later point:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

You may have a HITRON branded modem. 

Message 4 of 6
gtbecksr
Aspirant

I completely disconnected both satellites and restored the connection to the weather station device.  As before the connection lasted ~ 30 minutes then disconnected.  I am back in touch with Acurite as I believe that we have ruled out the node jumping that they considered to be the problem.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, something else to try, disable AX mode on the RBRs basic tab/wireless page for both radios and check again. There is two check boxes here.

Hopefully they can help figure this out.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7