Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPv6 DNS not being handled by the route and instead clients being sent to the external servers

haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

IPv6 DNS not being handled by the route and instead clients being sent to the external servers

I have Cloudflare DNS configured at the router.

For IPv4 the router hands out its own IP for DNS (e.g. 192.168.1.1) and clients go to the router.

However, if I enable IPv6 at the router, it hands out Cloudflare's DNS servers and clients therefore go direct to Cloudflare.

Is this expected?

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: IPv6 DNS not being handled by the route and instead clients being sent to the external servers

Is this in reference to a Orbi system? What model?

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: IPv6 DNS not being handled by the route and instead clients being sent to the external servers

And how did you setup your cloud far DNS settings? 

Message 3 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

I have Cloudflare DNS configured at the router.

However, if I enable IPv6 at the router, it hands out Cloudflare's DNS servers and clients therefore go direct to Cloudflare.

I have CloudFlare and Google DNS configured as the DNS servers on my Netgear RBR50 Orbi router.  This is what a Windows 10 computer reports:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a204:60ff:fe1c:239%22
                                       fe80::a204:60ff:fe1c:239%22

Windows is using the router for DNS.  (fe80: is a local IPv6 address, not a public IPv6 address.)

In the past, I have often played around with defining static DNS servers on the PC. Perhaps CloudFlare has been set on the computer?

Message 4 of 12
FarmerBob1
Luminary

I use PPPoE with a Tagged 201 VLAN on the WAN and I'm showing what I have set as the IP Address for IPv4; and the DNSs that I have set for IPv6. Not sure if depends on how you have to log into your service how DNSs are utilized. I'd love to test it out, but am locked into how much I can do with my login method.

But I will ask people that might know . . .

Message 5 of 12
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

Yeah sorry I should have said. Orbi RBK853.

FWIW, it seems to be the same for every device on my network even though my examples here are from macOS.

Here's my setup

haruki_zaemon_0-1665183691488.png

You can see via dig that it uses the router for v4 and Cloudflare for v6

haruki_zaemon_5-1665184162703.png

You can also see via various means the v4 IP is the router, but the v6 is Cloudflare

haruki_zaemon_2-1665183828839.png

haruki_zaemon_1-1665183789646.png

haruki_zaemon_3-1665183874940.png

Message 6 of 12
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

Also nothing has been manually configured on any device.

For example, this is from a windows machine:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2606:4700:4700::1112
                                       2606:4700:4700::1002
                                       2606:4700:4700::1112
                                       2606:4700:4700::1002

And this is from an iPad:

haruki_zaemon_0-1665184777373.png

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

From what I'm told, if you configure hard coded DNS on the RBR, then thats what will appear on the client devices. 

I wish my ISP supported IPv6. 😐

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

From what I'm told, if you configure hard coded DNS on the RBR, then thats what will appear on the client devices. 

This may be the case with certain models, but is clearly not the case with my aging RBR50. This is my IPv6 configuration:

CrimpOn_0-1665255593043.png

I have hard coded IPv6 DNS servers, and Orbi DHCP gives my PC the Orbi local IP address for both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS.

Would be nice if someone can test another 850 router to see if does the same thing.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Was different on the older AC series. Orbi AX is newer and seem to be different this this regard. 

Maybe @FarmerBob1 can confirm this since he works with IPv6 and his ISP supports it. 

Will have to see what NG is really supported for it's intended use. 

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

In the past there have been impassioned pleas to have the Orbi behave almost exactly this way:  Users wanted Orbi to specify specific DNS servers to DHCP clients rather than follow the (industry standard?) practice of acting as a DNS forwarder.  Those requests were in terms of IPv4 DNS, which appears to continue to follow the previous practice in the 850, which provides actual DNS server IP addresses only for IPv6.

Pretty clear there is no common code base, not even for the most basic functions.

Message 11 of 12
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

Mercifully, my ISP does support IPv6 natively.

However, if the v6 DNS convention is different to the v4, then consider it case closed.

Maybe I need to setup a local DNS cache running somewhere instead and just point everything at that.

Given that’s unlikely to happen anytime soon, I guess I’ll just leave it as is.

Thanks everyone 🙇‍♂️
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7