Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to add 5 or more satellites (RBS850)with RBR850 router

Chrillthesill
Aspirant

Is it possible to add 5 or more satellites (RBS850)with RBR850 router

Hi, Í´ve bought 5 satellites to my AX6000 router, but when Iam trying to connect the fifth satellite it turns magenta, and wont connect to the router. I know that Netgear says that the recommended number of satellites are 4 with the wifi6. Three of my satellites are wired. I would really appreciate  som help with this. 

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is it possible to add 5 or more satellites (RBS850)with RBR850 router

Glad thats all it was. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000062035/How-many-satellites-can-you-add-to-an-Orbi-WiFi-System 📡

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Make sure the RBS have same version of FW as the RBR. Try connecting the one RBS to the RBR via ethernet and see if it gets a IP address. If it does, use this IP address to make sure the FW is updated on the RBS web page. Turn OFF all other RBS while checking this one RBS. 

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chrillthesill wrote:

when I am trying to connect the fifth satellite it turns magenta, and wont connect to the router. s. 

Could you provide more detail about the connection attempt?  (i.e. the exact steps taken.  Using the Orbi 'app' or the Orbi web interface, etc.)

(My typical practice is to connect a new satellite in the same room as the router so that I can perform the process without running around the house.  After verifying that the satellite connects, I then move it to the desired location.)

Message 3 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

My home is 190 m2, so that is 2045 sq feet. One plane and a basement. I have 2 satellites in the basement (one wired), one satellite in the garage (wired), one satellite in the masterbedroom (wired) and now I want one satellite in my kids room (wireless). I will try to connect the 5th satellite with the router using ethernet. Do you know if it is possible to connect a 5th satellite to Orbi wifi 6 (RBR850)?

Message 4 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

I use the Orbi app. I have tried to get close to the router with the satellite. I have turned all the other satellites off and also reset the satellite and used the sync button on both the satellite and the router. Nothing helps. Maybe an ethernet cable will do as proposed earlier. But I still dont know if it is possible to add a 5th satellite.

Message 5 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chrillthesill wrote:

Do you know if it is possible to connect a 5th satellite to Orbi wifi 6 (RBR850)?

That Netgear knowledge-base article referenced above "recommends" up to four and clearly states that adding more "might negatively affect performance".  I take that to mean, Yes, you can.

If the house is typical construction, that is a LOT of WiFi access points in a small area.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So for that size of home you only need the RBR and 1 RBS. Having too much wifi signals with additional RBS will cause problems. 

https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

is the home of wood or concrete construction? 

Message 7 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chrillthesill wrote:

I use the Orbi app.

Most of the users on the forum are more comfortable using the Orbi web interface. (I certainly am.)

Is there a computer (desktop, laptop) or tablet that can be used to log in to the web interface?

(Smartphone screens are too small to be used with the full screen web interface.)

As there is absolutely no documentation about "what's going on?" with the Orbi app, there could well be some limitation built into the app communication with the router that no one is aware of.

Message 8 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

Yes I saw that reply on the Netgear site and interpreted it that way, but no one have told me how to do it. I know that it is a lot of access points, but I need one for my boiler, one for the garage etc. We have 190 m2 on the main floor and 80 m2 for the basement and 1200m2 garden. 

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distances the garage from the main home building? 

Whats this Boiler? 

Part of a garden could be covered but the intent of the orbi system is for mostly internal building coverage with "some" external coverage on the outside. 

Message 10 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

There was a problem on the original Orbi product that made adding more than three satellites complicated.  The web page for adding satellites had room for only three satellites.  This forced users who wanted more satellites to

• Power off a satellite, reducing the number to two.
  • Ignore the Attached Devices option to "Delete" the satellite that was now disconnected.
  • Add the third satellite.
  • Power that one satellite back on.
  • To add #5, two existing satellites had to be powered off, etc.

In the time since that explanation showed up on the forum, there have been numerous firmware updates, so I do not know if that web page issue was fixed (or not).

And, I never saw a comment one way or the other about adding more than three satellites to the AX products.

The app remains a mystery.  I use so many features that are available only in the web interface that I have little experience with the app.

Message 11 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chrillthesill wrote:

I need one for my boiler, one for the garage etc

It is a chore when devices require an Ethernet connection (perhaps the boiler? something in the garage?)

One alternative to installing a satellite for the purpose of providing an Ethernet capability at the location is to use a WiFi extender that has an Ethernet jack on it.

Message 12 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

Im from Sweden so english is not my native language. With boiler I mean the system for heating our home and warm water. I want it to be smart connected and that means that I have to have it connected using ethernet. The internet connection in the garage was lousy and I need it for our electric cars. We have both concrete and walls of wood. My son plays alot of playstation in the basement and has a computer in his room. Íve measured the signal in this different spots and need more access points. Thats just how it is and now I have a 5th satellite that is already mounted on the wall, but I cant connect it.

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if thats going to work well. 

Does the 5th RBS connect if you bring to the the room with the RBR and turn OFF all other RBS. Use the sync button on the RBS then press the sync button on the RBR. 

Not sure if this can be added. 

Something to consider, instead of using RBS or wireless backhaul, you might check into Power Line adapters or full ethernet LAN cable (CAT6) in between the RBR and RBS to get them wired to the areas that you need these. Concrete will be problematic here and hard to deal with for wifi signals. 

Message 14 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

Can I use a Wifi extender with my RBR850 system in the basement to connect the boiler instead of the RBS850? Does any wifi extender do or must it be a Orbi compatible one? Which in such case?

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. I've connected a EX7500 and a EX7700 to my Orbis to check this. They connect and work. I believe EX8000s and EAX80s work as well. 

Message 16 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

Already tried to sync with all the other RBS turned off. Didnt work. 

I have 3 of my RBS connected to the RBR using CAT6 (basement, garage, masterbedroom).

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the 5th RBS is not using same version of FW, in a bad state or faulty. 

I did notice one of mine not syncing during the setup wizard detection process. I skipped the setup wizard then was able to ethernet connect it to the back of the RBR and it took a good 5 minutes but it finally synced. RBS was already on same version of FW. 

You might return this RBS and go with that you have and maybe try an extender. Might try moving some RBS around to maybe help with some coverage. Though with concrete in the mix, going to be problematic at best unless you run wire or try Power Line. 

Message 18 of 22
ekhalil
Master

Being not able to add the sixth satellite is not related to the recommendation to have max of 4 satellites, it has to be something else. Can be because of the installed firmware in the satellite, or can be a HW fault.

In my Orbi AC system I have 8 satellites (3 of which wired and 2 in Daisy Chain).

In my Orbi AX system currently have 4 satellites, but had 6 connected at a certain point of time, only 1 is wired.

Message 19 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

...... Can be because of the installed firmware in the satellite, or can be a HW fault.

Sometimes only a restart of the router will wake it up and make it find the satellite, have you tried that?

Message 20 of 22
Chrillthesill
Aspirant

Hi everbody,

I`ve now solved the problem together with Netgear support. Netgear had sent me a satellite with an old firmware. Now everything works and I´ve 5 satellites connected (3 wired and 2 wireless). Thanks for all the help.

/Chrillthesill

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad thats all it was. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy. 📡

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7