Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there a network solution for 860RBR

GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Is there a network solution for 860RBR

First off, I am NOT a network guy so if my question has no solution then let me know. 

I have an 860RBR and one satellite. I just upgraded my ISP modem to Gig service. When I connected directly from the modem to my desktop, my speeds were over 1050Mbps down. Once I hooked the modem to the router and moved my connection to one of the four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports ports on the back of the modem, my speeds are capped around 940Mbps.

My question, can I put a network switch between the modem and the router, so I can use one of the ports on the switch (e.g. 2.5Gbps) to run to my desktop and the other port to the router?

Thanks,

Greg

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is there a network solution for 860RBR

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

IF your ISP modem has a router, then yes you could put a switch behind the modem in parallel and connect other devices to this switch while the Orbi is connected to the modem. 

With the LAN ports on the Orbi being 1Gb, you'll not ever see much over 940Mpbs on the down. To get anything over this, the 9 series Orbi has 2.5Gb port in back. 

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

What actual modem do you have? 

that's a bit of key as maybe its not just a modem but a modem/router combo device with a 2.5gig port (maybe?)

that'd be your only way to do so easily

Message 3 of 9
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

The modem is Hitron which has a 2.5Gbps connection currently to my router. I has wondering if a switch with (3) 2.5Gbps ports would work. So one port (in) would be from the modem, one port would then go to the Orbi 860 and the last port to my desktop.
Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the Htron has a built in router, yes you could. However if the Hitron is only a modem with 1 port, then no. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

What model hiltron is it? 

Message 6 of 9
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

It doesn't matter at this point. The only way I could have the solution I would like is to spend another $1000 on the 960. My pockets aren't that deep. 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

If the hiltron is a gateway and not just a modem, there's fairly cheap 2.5gig switches. I bought one for under a $100 and it works great. But that solution only works if the hiltron is a modem/router combo device. Not if its a modem only. 

Which is why I ask. 

Message 8 of 9
GregS_from_MI
Apprentice

Nope, just a modem. I'll wait until my ISP (I hope I'm not pushing up dandelions by then) has 10G service before I invest in a comparable 960.:-)
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7