Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is there any benefit to have a wired backhaul for an Orbi Mesh system?

donawalt
Virtuoso

Re: Is there any benefit to have a wired backhaul for an Orbi Mesh system?

For what it's worth, I am on Comcast and lurk on their forums, and they have specific specs for their network which are for upstream. If applicable, would also indicate you are within spec:

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

Message 26 of 37
unioncorps
Guide

@donawalt Thanks for the confirmation. It's just the conflict between 'stated' tolerance limits and what truly is acceptable vs.not and I know having those upstream power levels I'm on the higher side.

@FURRYe38 correct, I just checked again on the modem logs and nothing shows. Log is empty.

Do you guys think it's worthwhile to swap out my 2-way splitter to something that is still MoCA compatible but with lesser loss? Currently my 2-way splitter is a -4.5 db for each output terminal, but I do see another splitter that I can get that is -3.5 db for each terminal.

Message 27 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

If it's inexpensive to try, might be worth trying.

Message 28 of 37
unioncorps
Guide

So to update, still with my MoCA setup, I swapped out my 2-way splitter originally having -4.5 db loss for both output terminals for another 2-way splitter that has -3.5 db loss to each terminal. The hope was that swapping the splitters would have a positive impact to lowering my upstream power levels slightly.

Looked at the cable modem signals and downstream remained the relatively the same as before, but the upstream levels actually increased! Definitely was not expecting that - I was thinking that the power would go down very slightly. Before I had power between 50 - 51.5 as the max.

unioncorps_0-1691412075740.png

I had restarted the modem and still got these stats. The modem has been up for roughly 15 hours now, no drops, no disconnects, and internet working fine as it did before. Modem log is empty.

Is this expected?

Message 29 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

If that's what the ISP has for there network and modems...

Message 30 of 37
unioncorps
Guide

What do you mean? The modem is mine (CM1000v2) and not a rental.

Message 31 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

If the signal specs are what they put forth for modems connected to there network.

Message 32 of 37
donawalt
Virtuoso

Yes- it’s like what I said above, my ISP is Comcast, and these are the specs I found on their website. The range is pretty broad, as you can see. You may have to do some hunting to find what the specs are for your ISP.

Comcast:

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

Message 33 of 37
unioncorps
Guide

@donawalt on the Xfinity forum, some of the 'experts' firmly disagree with those specs. They are stating that upstream power should reside around 35-50 dmbV as the optimal range and that my current levels now do not offer a buffer for fluctuation. They also mentioned that some modems have chipsets that are slightly more tolerant in higher max thresholds than other modems, which may explain why my modem hasn't rebooted or dropped connection.

I'm tempted to contact Xfinity to see if they can check out the connection from the street to my house, but on the flip side, I don't want them to inadvertently screw anything up which they have done before... The "wait and see" part has been fine so far, as I haven't experienced any internet issues yet with my MoCA setup, but not sure if I continue to wait or if it's worth it to get a tech out.

Message 34 of 37
donawalt
Virtuoso

"some of the 'experts' firmly disagree with those specs." - sure - everybody has an opinion. But I would also be shocked if they come out when the levels are within their own specs.

You haven't shown your modem status page (there was one image post that did not show up for me in your post earlier), are you getting lots of uncorrectable errors on a daily basis? In your log, are there a lot of CM-STATUS messages, especially 16 and 24?

Message 35 of 37
unioncorps
Guide

Since I installed the new splitter, I'm getting 51-51.5 dbmV for upstream power across the 5 bonded channels and no uncorrectables. CM log is empty.

Message 36 of 37
donawalt
Virtuoso

Sounds excellent! If it was me I would just watch it - with no errors and no warnings, it's hard to imagine a concern imho.

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7