Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Live-streaming

twagner977
Aspirant

Live-streaming

We are a church and we Live-stream our Sunday Morning Service. Prior to installing the ORBI RBRE960 with 2 Satellite's, we used a Netgear Nighthawk WIFI Router.

We use 6 iPhones as cameras with 2 of them on GIZMO devices. The 6 iPhones and an iMac computer are connected to a 9th generation iPad through SwitcherStudio app.

Before connecting everything we get 320mbps down and 20mbps up on our internet. The moment we connect the phones to the iPad (by WIFI), our speeds drop drastically. The download drops to 50-60mbps and the upload drops to 5-6mbps. This is before we even try and "go live."

We did not have this issue with the Nighthawk and installed the ORBI system confident we would get better coverage and at least similar speeds.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Message 1 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

Re: Live-streaming

I forgot to say the ORBI ROUTER is connected to the CABLE MODEM from our Internet Provider by way of Ethernet. One of the 2 SATELLITE'S is being used through WIFI connectivity to the ROUTER. The 2nd SATELLITE is connected to the ROUTER by way of an Ethernet Cable. The CONNECTED 2nd SATELLITE is the one being used to Live-stream from.

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

IS the one RBS that's ethernet connected to the RBR using the 2.5Gb ports on the RBR and RBS? or 1Gb ports?

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6A STP is recommended.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Do you have the IoT and separate 6Ghz SSID networks enabled on the RBR>? 

Is Armor or Parental Controls enabled on the RBR? 

Message 3 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@twagner977 wrote:

We use 6 iPhones as cameras with 2 of them on GIZMO devices. The 6 iPhones and an iMac computer are connected to a 9th generation iPad through SwitcherStudio app.

What a fascinating application.  If I count correctly, that would make:

• Seven devices streaming over WiFi to the iPad, plus
  • The iPad streaming over WiFi to the internet.

Which should not be a strain for a modern WiFi system.  (Worked with the Nighthawk.)

And, simply connecting iPhones to the WiFi (for the purpose of then connecting them to the iPad) should have absolutely nothing to do with the up/down connection to the ISP.

Some questions:

• The GIZMO devices are employed to pan and tilt two iPhone cameras while the other four are fixed in place?
    (Probably controlled over WiFi?)
  • Those up/down speeds are being reported by the Orbi router Speed Test feature, or in some other way?
Message 4 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

Some questions:

• The GIZMO devices are employed to pan and tilt two iPhone cameras while the other four are fixed in place?
    (Probably controlled over WiFi?) CORRECT
  • Those up/down speeds are being reported by the Orbi router Speed Test feature, or in some other way? WE USE THE ORBI SPEED TEST AS WELL AS SWITCHERSTUDIO HAS A SPEED TEST. BOTH REFLECT THE SAME
Message 5 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V6.3.7.5_3.2.25

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 
Hitron CDA3-35

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Currently CAT5

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 

The building is a total of 21,000 square feet but the Satellite in question is covering 7,000 square feet

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Distance from Router to Satellite in question is 130’ but it is connected by Cat5 cable

IS the one RBS that's ethernet connected to the RBR using the 2.5Gb ports on the RBR and RBS? or 1Gb ports?

Currently connected to 1gb port. Was connected to 2.5gb port last weekend

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6A STP is recommended.

Currently using CAT5 ... will consider changing but as a last resort due to difficulty in running the wire

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

2.4 ghz is AUTO

5 ghz is CHANNEL 48

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Closest WIFI neighbor is 300 feet away

Do you have the IoT and separate 6Ghz SSID networks enabled on the RBR>? 

We do have IoT enabled but not 6 ghz due to support saying our equipment wouldn't support 6 ghz

Is Armor or Parental Controls enabled on the RBR? 

Neither is on

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume you have the Orbi 9 series system? 

For that size of building and 7000Sq ft for just one RBS would not be supported with this Orbi system or any Orbi system. 

CAT5 is only rated for 100Mpbs officially. You need at least CAT6A STP at those distances. 

You really should look into a business class wifi AP system. Something WAC or WAX model from NG. 

Message 7 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@twagner977 wrote:

Before connecting everything we get 320mbps down and 20mbps up on our internet. The moment we connect the phones to the iPad (by WIFI), our speeds drop drastically. The download drops to 50-60mbps and the upload drops to 5-6mbps. This is before we even try and "go live."

We did not have this issue with the Nighthawk and installed the ORBI system confident we would get better coverage and at least similar speeds.

Regardless of how suitable the 960 is for this building, this is the issue I cannot find an explanation for:

• The act of connecting six iPhones and one iMac to WiFi causes the ISP speed to drop by over 75% before any attempt to "go live".
  • This did not happen with a single Nighthawk router.  Can the Orbi 960 be that much less capable?
Message 8 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

The Router is a RBRE960 and the Satellite's are RBSE960

For that size of building and 7000Sq ft for just one RBS would not be supported with this Orbi system or any Orbi system. 

I understand your comment but we get 320 mbps down and 20 mbps up all other times from that Satellite ... it's only when we connect 7 devices to it that the speeds drop. The RBRE960 offers 4 SSID's ... we have the "media" on an SSID that is used only by them.

CAT5 is only rated for 100Mpbs officially. You need at least CAT6A STP at those distances. 

We will look at replacing the cable and I'm not trying to be difficult but the CAT5 worked fine when we were using the Nighthawk routers?

You really should look into a business class wifi AP system. Something WAC or WAX model from NG. 

Appreciate the suggestion

Message 9 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

Orbi RBRE960 router and RBSE satellites

I know it's beyond the rating but we get the 320 up and 20 down all over the room ... until we attach the devices ... the RBRE960 allows 4 SSID's ... we designate 1 SSID to the media so that no one else is using it while we're trying to livestream

Ordered a CAT6 and will install it when it arrives ... but again, we were getting the speeds using the Nighthawk across CAT5

Appreciate the suggestion. Need to exhaust the current issue due to the investment made

Message 10 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@twagner977 wrote:

we designate 1 SSID to the media so that no one else is using it while we're trying to livestream

With WiFi, all SSIDs share the same WiFi channel, the same radio, and the same antenna.  The default behavior of Orbi 5G WiFi is to combine channels 36-48 into a single 80GHz wide channel to get maximum bandwidth.  When any device broadcasts on the channel, all other devices cannot broadcast but must "wait their  turn". Because the bandwidth is enormous and the data broadcasts are short, a tremendous amount of data can be transmitted over this channel.  These eight devices being connected to a specific SSID is irrelevant.

Would it be convenient to make a rough drawing of "before and after"?  And indicate which device is performing the Speed Test.

I presume the six cameras are located in the sanctuary (as well as the iMac and iPad)?

How did they connect to the Nighthawk "before"?

Do  they "Now" connect to a satellite which is placed in the sanctuary, which then conncts over Cat5 cable to the router which is located where the Nighthawk was before?

Would it be convenient to look at the Orbi router web browser interface, Advanced Tab, and open the Blue box titled Show Statistics?  Does it show the LAN port that is connecting the satellite to the router as 1000/Full or 100/Full?

I would be tempted to disconnect the Ethernet cable and "see what happens".

Message 11 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

With WiFi, all SSIDs share the same WiFi channel, the same radio, and the same antenna.  The default behavior of Orbi 5G WiFi is to combine channels 36-48 into a single 80GHz wide channel to get maximum bandwidth.  When any device broadcasts on the channel, all other devices cannot broadcast but must "wait their  turn". Because the bandwidth is enormous and the data broadcasts are short, a tremendous amount of data can be transmitted over this channel.  These eight devices being connected to a specific SSID is irrelevant.

Didn't know that but understood

Would it be convenient to make a rough drawing of "before and after"?  And indicate which device is performing the Speed Test.

I've attached a rough drawing and the iPad in the sound booth is where the speed testes are done

The setup is no different than with the Nighthawk ... all devices connected wirelessly to the iPad

I presume the six cameras are located in the sanctuary (as well as the iMac and iPad)?

Correct

How did they connect to the Nighthawk "before"?

Exactly the same

Do  they "Now" connect to a satellite which is placed in the sanctuary, which then conncts over Cat5 cable to the router which is located where the Nighthawk was before?

Correct

Would it be convenient to look at the Orbi router web browser interface, Advanced Tab, and open the Blue box titled Show Statistics?  Does it show the LAN port that is connecting the satellite to the router as 1000/Full or 100/Full?

I will attach a screenshot of this on another post ... only allows me 1 image

I would be tempted to disconnect the Ethernet cable and "see what happens".

We will disconnect and see what signal is available

Message 12 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

Message 13 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

This looks like the same image.  bummer.

Message 14 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

Message 15 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Love to see what happens when the cable is disconnected. 

Message 16 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

(I HATE when I'm away from the desktop and attempt to use the forum from a tablet or smartphone.  Typing even a simple sentence is IMPOSSIBLE.)

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  Those speeds shown under "Status" are a bit imprecise.

• For wired connections (WAN, LAN1, LAN2, LAN3) they represent the speed that the two Ethernet ports auto negotiated between themselves.  1000mbs/Full being "gigabit" and 100mbs/Full being "fast Ethernet".  It is possible to use over 90% of that bandwidth for actual data transfer and "Full" means that data can travel in both directions at the same time.

If the satellite is connected to LAN3, then it appears that the speed has been auto-negotiated to 100/Full. Almost certainly a consequence of Cat5 cable and the 130ft. cable length.
  • For WiFi connections, the speed listed is the maximum theoretical link rate for a device that is capable of the full capabilities (full 80MB frequency width, using the AX capabilities, number of antennas, etc.) Both the 5G user channel and the 5G backhaul channel feature 80MHz wide frequency, 4x4 MIMO, and AX capability for a theoretical bandwidth of 2402mbps if the device is within a few feet of the router.  This link is, of course, half duplex. (only one side can transmit at a time) in contrast with the wired link being full duplex.  Which is "faster": (a) a 2402mbs link where each device can use it only half the time, or (b) a 1000mbs link where both sides can transmit all the time?  With the additional overhead consumed by WiFi (there are 5-10 "beacon frames" every second; WiFi frames are longer than Etherent frames, there might be RTS/CTS frames, etc.) the bottom line is that the Ethernet link is almost always superior.

Since WiFi loses signal strength with distance and interference from building materials, the actual link rate for a satellite 100 ft from the router will be only a fraction of 2402mbs.

However, another "bottom line" is that no matter how much the WiFi backhaul speed has declined, it may still be faster than a 100/Full Ethernet connection.  That is why it will be so interesting to learn how things work with the WiFi backhaul.

After all this, I think you will be much better off with the Cat6A Ethernet link at 1000/Full.

p.s. (a consequence of staying up late...)  It would also be interesting to see what happens if the satellite is powered off and all those devices connect directly to the Orbi router (as they did to the Nighthawk router).

Message 17 of 19
twagner977
Aspirant

Good morning. Tried disconnecting ethernet and could only attain 80-90 mbps up and 2-3 mbps down. I switched ports for the ethernet from the 2.5 gb port to the 1 gb port and it worked better this past Sunday.

Our next step is to replace the CAt5 with CAT6 ... cable will be here next week.

Thanks for all the replies

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the CAT6 is STP and not UTP. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation