Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Orbi router password no longer works (Orbi RBR850)

MistaBond
Follower

My Orbi router password no longer works (Orbi RBR850)

Hi y'all,

I recently discovered that while I was setting up my Amazon Echo and tried connecting with Orbi with the correct password that came with after I bought it no longer works. I had to double check on my Orbi app which apparently signed me out? I can no longer access it with the same password. WiFi and ethernet still works but I just can't login. 

I tried resetting the router which still didn't fix my problem. I've searched on other Netgear forums, some people had this similar issue and apparently, I need to factory reset my Orbi, but my family don't want it because they are worried if any worst-case scenario comes to their mind.

Is there any solution to fix this or do I have no choice but to factory reset the router?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: My Orbi router password no longer works (Orbi RBR850)

This situation appears to have two topics.... or does it?

First, connecting an Amazon Echo does not require logging into the Orbi router 'app' or the Orbi router web interface.  All it requires is to select the appropriate WiFi SSID (name) and enter the WiFi password.  When the system was delivered, this information was printed on the product label on the bottom of the case.  Many users choose to change the WiFi credentials (although there is no requirement to do so.  For the past 20 years, I have configured each new WiFi router with exactly the same WiFi credentials as the one that was being replaced.  Saves me having to reconfigure my WiFi devices and also means that I can "go back" to the previous WiFi router without reconfiguring any devices.)

Thus the Amazon Echo would not seem to be relevant to the problem, correct?

When an Orbi system is delivered, the Orbi web credentials are "admin" (which cannot be changed) and "password" (which the user is forced to change to something more secure.  Thus, this statement is puzzling:

@MistaBond wrote:

tried connecting with Orbi with the correct password that came with after I bought it no longer works.

It is not unusual for users to forget the router password that was entered during the initial configuration.  As Forrest Gump would say, "s**t happens".  If the password is rejected three times in a row, the router brings up a Password Recovery screen which wants the router serial number (from the product label) and the answer to a couple of security questions.  Again, it is not unusual for users to have skipped that step when configuring the router.

When the user definitely cannot enter a password that the router accepts, the only recourse is a Factory Reset.

This does not have to be a major problem.

@MistaBond wrote:

my family don't want it because they are worried if any worst-case scenario comes to their mind.

If the router is reset to Factory settings, then all that is required to keep the family happy is to configure it with exacctly the same WiFi credentials as it has now: WiFi name (SSID) and password.  Everybody's devices will connect immediately and all will be good.

As far as "worst case", there could be a thunder storm and lightning could fry the router tonight.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7