Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 7.2.6.21 Released

Well may have worked in v4 FW however possible your config that way and it working was an unintended configuration. The path configuration has been the correct and support path configuration for all orbi systems, router or AP mode and ethernet connected RBS, since I started using Orbi and learning all about them. Aside some problematic FW versions and use of managed switches and issues there, ethernet connected RBS have always worked in this configuration. With out any VLAN or use of the LAN port with a host router configs. 

Message 176 of 182
CrimpOn
Guru

@ducs4rs wrote:

Why do you need a dedicated connection from the RBR to the Opnsense router? Not sure how I would set this up. 

The picture (thanks for posting that!) appears to show a white cable going into the switch. (is that from the OpenSense router?)  Perhaps connect the white cable to the Orbi @wan port and run the orange (red?) cable from a router LAN port to the switch?

Message 177 of 182
ducs4rs
Tutor

I got it sorted out thanks to this post. I created a backhaul vlan on a managed switch. The WAN port is VLAN'd to my home network to reach the Opnsense router. I created an isolated VLAN for the backhaul network and connected the RBR, RBS's LAN ports. It all works like a charm. Thanks for all the pointers and discussion. Sorry it took so long. orbi_vlan_640.jpgorbi_connected_vlan.png

Message 178 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your managed switches, when used in this kind of configuration, seem to see this VLAN to make the backhaul work. Glad you got it working. Use of non managed switches would not need any kind of VLAN config. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 179 of 182
ducs4rs
Tutor

the reason for managed switches is Ethernet ports. The locations of the RBR and RBS' only have one drop. The RBS' only need one, but the RBR needs two. Using managed VLAN capable switches over comes this issue.

Message 180 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 181 of 182
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 182 of 182
Top Contributors
Discussion stats