Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No increase in speed after upgrading my service

firenut34
Aspirant

No increase in speed after upgrading my service

I have the RBR750 and RBS750 x1. My house is 2 story 2700sqft. I have frontier fios and upgraded from 500/500 to 1gig and didn’t see any change in the numbers. Orbi app is showing 508 download and 510 upload before and after. The RBR750 is connected to the ONT using a cat8 and set for router. I have changed the cat5 to the Cat8, upgraded to the latest firmware on both the RBR and RBS as instructed and factory reset the device and get the same readings, or sometimes less. The 5g is set to 48 and 2.4 is auto. Not sure what I should do next.
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: No increase in speed after upgrading my service

@firenut34 wrote:
Directly to the ONT? Don’t you have to have a router first?

No router needed to connect one device.  Of course, nothing else in the house will have internet during this experiment. Hook it up. Measure speed. Then reconnect the router.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

try testing with a hardwired in pc/laptop. The app doesn't always give accurate results

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

@firenut34 wrote:
I have the RBR750 and RBS750 x1. My house is 2 story 2700sqft. I have frontier fios and upgraded from 500/500 to 1gig and didn’t see any change in the numbers. Orbi app is showing 508 download and 510 upload before and after. The RBR750 is connected to the ONT using a cat8 and set for router. I have changed the cat5 to the Cat8, upgraded to the latest firmware on both the RBR and RBS as instructed and factory reset the device and get the same readings, or sometimes less. The 5g is set to 48 and 2.4 is auto. Not sure what I should do next.

Message 3 of 8
firenut34
Aspirant

Did the power offs, and same speeds on different devices and speed apps. With Frontier Fios, I only have internet so there isn’t an actual modem so it goes by Ethernet straight to the RBR750. After the firmware updates, I did a factory reset also.
Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

try testing with a hardwired in pc/laptop. The app doesn't always give accurate results

When diagnosing speed issues, one relevant question is: "The ISP told me that they upgraded my speed.  So, did they actually do it?"  Connecting a computer directly to the ISP device (fiber ONT in this case) and running a speed test verifies what speed should be delivered to the customer router.

Message 5 of 8
firenut34
Aspirant

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@firenut34 wrote:

No router needed to connect one device.  Of course, nothing else in the house will have internet during this experiment. Hook it up. Measure speed. Then reconnect the router.

Message 7 of 8
firenut34
Aspirant

Sure enough, I did as you said and it was 500/500. So I contacted Frontier and they are coming Tuesday. Now to get hold of their billing department to get a refund for the last month of paying for 1 gig when I didn’t get it. Thanks.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7