Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI AX11000 SYSTEM AND EXTENSION QUESTIONS

Talon38
Tutor

ORBI AX11000 SYSTEM AND EXTENSION QUESTIONS

Greetings!  I have 5 Orbi RB960Bs in my home working well together.  We are building a dock around 130' from the house and have run a Cat 8 cable to the dock to set up Wi-Fi.  What device might we connect at the dock to extend our wifi from the house to that area?  Is that possible.  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI AX11000 SYSTEM AND EXTENSION QUESTIONS

Unfortunately there isn't a outdoor version of the 9 series. 

Only suggestion would be to put in a outdoor electronics case then you could put in a indoor RBS unit inside of this case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Outdoor-Satellite/td-p/2129551

AP = Access Point. Just a mode where the router portion is disabled leaving the wifi radios running for wifi access with devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Could just add any ol wireless AP, RBS or a wifi router set to AP mode and connect it to that lan cable running from the home to this area...

Message 2 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

Thanks!  I've purchased a WAX630-EP.  Maybe overkill?

Mike

Message 3 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Talon38 wrote:

Maybe overkill?

Probably.  Mixing residential and commercial products may be more complicated than you want.

In addition to the Ethernet connection, it might be useful to consider:

• How the unit will be powered?
  • How the unit will be mounted?
  • Does it need to be weather resistant?
Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

At that distance should not be a problem. You can always turn down the transmit power on the WAX if needed. Which depending on the size of the building your trying to cover, you could. 

Just know that it won't integrate to the Orbi system like the RBS do. Will be it's down separate WIFI SSID name. You can use same password if you want. Just use the WAX in AP mode. You'll be fine. 

@Talon38 wrote:

Thanks!  I've purchased a WAX630-EP.  Maybe overkill?

Mike

Message 5 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

Thanks for your help!  One more question, does Netgear or anyone make an RBS version that would fit my needs?  I can't find one.  mike

Message 6 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Talon38 wrote:

Thanks for your help!  One more question, does Netgear or anyone make an RBS version that would fit my needs?  I can't find one.  mike

The RBSE960 (in either color) is totally compatible with the system installed in the house.  Gigabit ethernet is good for 90 meters, which is longer than the distance described (130 ft).  This would provide seamless roaming between the house and deck.

However, the RBSE960 is not rated for outdoor installation, so it would have to be inside some sort of weatherproof enclosure.  In some parts of the country, there could be issues with temperature and humidity:

CrimpOn_0-1671391630515.png

Message 7 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

I have an RBS50Y but it doesn't do the job.  Too far.  So we ran a line to the dock; the RBS50Y has no plug-in connector.  Mike

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need a hard wire to that location and install either a RBS or WAX or something that you can configure for AP mode. Any router that supports AP mode will work. 

Message 9 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

Thanks!  I'm a newbie and don't even know what AP mode is.  The extension is covered by a roof but open on the sides (it's a dock and "back porch" area.  I would prefer just an outdoor version of the RBS960s that are in my home but currently have WAX630EP at the house, but ready to send back to Amazon in lieu of putting an RBS960 out there.  What would you do?  Remember, I'm a lame brain installing this.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

PS: I have a wire to that location just installed yesterday.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Unfortunately there isn't a outdoor version of the 9 series. 

Only suggestion would be to put in a outdoor electronics case then you could put in a indoor RBS unit inside of this case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Outdoor-Satellite/td-p/2129551

AP = Access Point. Just a mode where the router portion is disabled leaving the wifi radios running for wifi access with devices. 

Message 12 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

Many thanks for your help.  We came to the same conclusion.  I had just ordered a case from Amazon and another satellite late last night.  I'm still learning about all of this.  Anyway, many thanks for your great help!  

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

If your going to run ethernet cable from the main building out to the remote location, be sure to use CAT6A STP cabling.

Good luck.

Message 14 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

Many thanks! I used cat 8.
Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure it's STP. 

Message 16 of 18
Talon38
Tutor

Thanks!  I ran two (only need one) Cat 8 SFTP cables in underground tubing to the dock.   I put in two just in case one fails.  Many thanks for your help!!  Mike    

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Great plan. 

Enjoy. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation