Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI WIFI 6

tinacioffi
Aspirant

ORBI WIFI 6

I have an ORBI RBR850. When my ISP set it up in bridge mode - the internet connection became unstable throughout the house on multiple devices. I went through 5 new modems and switched to an unmanaged switch and nothing helped. Finally, I switched the modem out of Bridge Mode and decided to use it as the main router and switch the Orbi to AP mode. This works great with stability but now both my wired and wireless speeds have slowed to a tenth their original speed. Is there any other setting I can try in AP Mode to remedy this. The ISP can not turn the WiFi Channels off so that is not an option. Any other settings I can try?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI WIFI 6

If the modems wifi can't be turned off this maybe causing noise and interferences with the Orbi WiFi system. Its recommended that them modems wifi be fully turn OFF. 

If not, change the ISP modems channels to something far appart on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Set the modem to channel 1 on 2.4Ghz and 48 on 5Ghz and set the RBR to channel 11 and 40. 

Also keep the RBR far appart from the ISP modem as well. 10 feet for more if possible

Message 2 of 4
tinacioffi
Aspirant

Changing channels does not work and the connectivity is a problem even in with Ethernet connection. As soon as I plug the Orbi into the mix my wired connection drops to half. Any other ideas?
I'm considering just selling the orbi and starting over. The ISP does not offer any other modems but this one from Ubee.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like there is a problem between the RBR and your modem. Reset the modem and setup from scratch there. Contact the mfr of the modem to see if the wifi radios can be disabled. Most wifi on modems can be disabled. It's part of the design. 

I'd have the ISP check the modem service line up to the modem. 

Be sure your using good qualtiy LAN cables between the modem and RBR. CAT6 is recommended. 

Be sure when speed testing, test with the modem first, then test with the RBR with a wired PC. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7