Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Odd issue with xfinity wifi and RBR850 and two satellites--Bridge Mode issues

jackuiowa
Aspirant

Odd issue with xfinity wifi and RBR850 and two satellites--Bridge Mode issues

Current Firmware Firmware Version
V4.6.14.3_2.3.12

I am having an odd issue with RBR850 system and two satelites.  I currently use and RBR850 with two RBS850 satellites and have been running my system for the last three years with few issues.  My orbi's system is plugged into an xfinity XB7 that is in bridge mode.  Since early friday though I have been having an odd issue.  Most websites do not load or streaming services.  If I reboot everything will work fine for about 5-8 minutes before again having issues.  Oddly though if I run a speed test it shows decent speed close 700 Mbps on a gig speed plan.  I contacted xfinity and they said everything looks fine on their end.  

If I take the xfinity modem xb7 out of bridge mode everything works fine but I know I'll run into a double nat situation.  My guess is somet firmware got pushed to xfinity but I am very stumped and looking for some guidance.  Thanks

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Odd issue with xfinity wifi and RBR850 and two satellites--Bridge Mode issues

If you hadn't changed anything on the Orbi system or on the ISP bridged mode, something would be at the ISP service level that could be causing this. Something to ask the ISP about to check there services up to the modem.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Also if all this doesn't work to help resolve, your system is behind in FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-...

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Odd issue with xfinity wifi and RBR850 and two satellites--Bridge Mode issues

@jackuiowa wrote:

If I take the xfinity modem xb7 out of bridge mode everything works fine but I know I'll run into a double nat situation.  My guess is some firmware got pushed to xfinity but I am very stumped and looking for some guidance. 

If "everything works fine", why not leave it alone?  The dreaded "Double NAT" affects specific applications.  Certain specific types of internet gaming (mostly where the user wants others to access his XBox as a game server), sharing files on the internet, OpenVPN access from the interenet to the router LAN, etc.  If you need none of these applications, why does it matter?

Message 3 of 10
jackuiowa
Aspirant

Sorry my concern is we do a lot of online gaming.  

Message 4 of 10
jackuiowa
Aspirant

I’ll try this again.  Thanks for responding.

I have my firmware set to auto update.  Is it safe to manually download and install the update?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Use a PC and web browser. Update the RBS first, then RBR lastly.

Message 6 of 10
jackuiowa
Aspirant

Thanks I figured I was fine since I left it on auto update.  Sounds like we are still on older software though.  Very odd it wouldnt just auto update it. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes NG may not auto push FW. NG got bit over the years doing this which causes problems. So NG is being more careful and gave users control over that. So if your system hasn't auto updated, its ok. You can manually do it. What I prefer doing anyways. I recommend on power OFF of the system for 30 seconds then back ON after the FW load has been processed by the RBS and RBR.  

Message 8 of 10
jackuiowa
Aspirant

Firmware Version
V7.2.6.21_5.0.20

Well unfortunately the issue was now resolved after updating the firmware.  I have reached out xfinity about a modem replacement as I can't seem to find any solutions on the netgear end.  

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure If you meant "now" or "not" solve? 

If it's not solved, lets try the XB7 modem in router mode and the RBR in router mode. Use the ISP modems DMZ for the RBR in router mode. Just be sure to first disable ALL wifi radios on the ISP modem first after it's back in router mode. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7