Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 6 blocks silicondust Homertun prime cable tuner

vmaher
Aspirant

Orbi 6 blocks silicondust Homertun prime cable tuner

One of my primary uses for my network is to distribute cable channels using the HDhomerun prime box. But the Orbi mostly blocks media center and firesticks from using it. Can connect using the HDhomerun app directly on the computer but not on the firesticks or media center. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. Doesn't make a difference if it's connected hard wire or not. Seems Orbi is blocking something. Coming from a Google Nest system which worked fine except it was slow. The Orbi is fast but erratic. 

Rebooting didn't help. Can use the HDhomerun if connected directly to an external hub and using my TPlink access points. If I plug the HDhomerun directly in the Orbi it gets blocked so even the TPlink access can't get to the box.

Using the web interface it looks no services are being blocked. It looked like it ran fine for a day after I installed from the Web interface. When I installed the phone app it activated Armor even though I thought I was careful not to get it. Turned it off but I see some people thinks it turns off comletely. Don't know if that's related.

Any suggestions? Otherwise I guess I have to send it back.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 6 blocks silicondust Homertun prime cable tuner

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What devices are connected to the RBR? I presume wire configurations are as follows? 

ISP Modem>RBR<>WIred devices behind the RBR? 

What happens if you set up the DMZ on the RBR for this device? 

Message 2 of 5
vmaher
Aspirant

It's connected to an Arris surfboard SB6141. 

Orbi firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

external hub plugged into Orbi.

HDhomerun TPlink and HDhomerun connected to hub.

PC sometimes connected to Orbi Sometimes to Orbi direct.

PC when connected to hub Media center works fine. Connected to Orbi no go. Direct  HDhomerun app works.

Firesticks connected Orbi wireless mostly no go. Sometimes works. Firesticks connect to TPLink AP work fine.

Plug HDhomerun directly into Oribi media center and firesticks don't work. Orbi seems to be blocking something.

Set the HDhomerun as DMZ - no change.

Disable port scan - no change

Disable IGMP proxing - no change

Diable NAT  filtering - no change

Set the above separately and combined - no change

No services blocked. No access control.

Not enough granualrity in the Orbi interface to tweak much else.

Quoted

======================

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What devices are connected to the RBR? I presume wire configurations are as follows? 

ISP Modem>RBR<>WIred devices behind the RBR? 

What happens if you set up the DMZ on the RBR for this device? 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem wouldn't be blocking anything. I would think the DMZ would help on this. Did you reboot the RBR and modem after setting up the DMZ? 

Only other trial to do would be to put the prior router back online after the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on that router. THen configure the RBR for AP mode and see what happens. 

Seems there maybe a FW issue with this certain media device. Something to contact NG support about and see. If not, you may need to find something different. 

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

@vmaher wrote:

It's connected to an Arris surfboard SB6141. 

Orbi firmware V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

external hub plugged into Orbi.

HDhomerun TPlink and HDhomerun connected to hub.

PC sometimes connected to Orbi Sometimes to Orbi direct.

PC when connected to hub Media center works fine. Connected to Orbi no go. Direct  HDhomerun app works.

Firesticks connected Orbi wireless mostly no go. Sometimes works. Firesticks connect to TPLink AP work fine.

What tp-link AP do you have? 

I've had issues with HDhomerun when devices aren't running properly in Ap mode or are having dhcp conflicts. 

If you take the Tp-link AP out of the equation and reboot your network, how does it work? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7