Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX6000 with Satellite

rychder
Tutor

Orbi AX6000 with Satellite

Recently purchased the Orbi AX6000 which includes a satellite. I am unable to connect an Epson printer NX420 to the network. Any suggestions? Is the printer too old? Thanks.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 with Satellite

Thanks for letting us know. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure printer FW is updated. 

Try connecting the printer to the RBR with WPA2 disabled temporarily to see if it will connect. Then try WPA2 and AES.

Contact the printers mfr for additinoal help and information. 

Message 2 of 13
rychder
Tutor

Thanks for your response. No success with changing the security settings. I also reinstalled the printer software with the latest FW and no success. My prior Netgear router R6300v2 with extender worked well with the printer but I wanted to improve my WiFi speed so I bought the AX6000.

Message 3 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

Try disabling AX functionality -- on the new firmware you can do that by band (2.4 or 5gig) a-- and then reattempt connection.

If you have not updated to the lastet Orbi Firmware, do that first.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Even with security disabled, maybe that the printer FW is not compatible with Orbi AX. Let us know if disabling of AX mode helps. If not, I using the ethernet connection if th printer supports this, if it doesn't, you can find a USB to LAN print server adapter device so you can put the printer on the network and most any device should be able to connect and print to it. Of if you still have your old R series router, configure it for wired AP mode, setup a different SSID name on it, turn down the power output of the radios, use different far apart channels, ethernet connect the R series router to the Orbi RBR and connect the printer wirelessly to the R series router in AP mode, 

@rychder wrote:

Thanks for your response. No success with changing the security settings. I also reinstalled the printer software with the latest FW and no success. My prior Netgear router R6300v2 with extender worked well with the printer but I wanted to improve my WiFi speed so I bought the AX6000.

Message 5 of 13
Mikey94025
Hero

@rychder wrote:

This printer seems to only support WEP (no more) and WPA, not WPA2.  Did you have your old R6300v2 router's security set to "WPA-PSK [TKIP]" instead of WPA2?  If you haven't already, I suggest trying:

1. Install the latest Windows printer driver from here (Printer Driver v6.72).
  2. Set your Orbi's security to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]".
  3. Upgrade to the latest V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 Orbi firmware and disable AX for 2.4Ghz.

Even so, it seems unwise to degrade your wireless network security for all devices to non-WPA2 just for one very old printer.  Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a modern wireless printer so you can leverage the best wireless security available.

Message 6 of 13
rychder
Tutor

Thanks to everyone above for responding and for their suggestions. As it turns out, I disabled AX for 2.4GHz, 5.0GHz, and for both togehter without success. I was able to find out that my printer has a security setting of WPA-PSK(AES), so it seems that changing the settings to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] should have worked, but no success. It is odd that the printer can detect the ORBI network. Also, the ORBI network does list the Epson printer as a device on the network.  But alas...

Seems I could either try a USB to LAN print server adapter device or buy a new printer.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Most older printer wifi drivers may not be updated enough to support newer wifi signals. Just makes them incompatible. 

Definately try USB or LAN adapter. 

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 13
Gm4n
Aspirant

Problem Solved for Epson NX420 and Orbi AX4200:
1. Restore printer to factory default settings.
2. On one laptop: deleted printer drivers then reinstalled driver (we downloaded online) like installing for the first time.
3. Continue setting up wifi connection with a temporary USB cable.
4. Done. Other devices can print like there was no issue.

Credit to https://community.netgear.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/396301
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you leave the USB cable connected or no?

Thank for letting us know. 

@Gm4n wrote:
Problem Solved for Epson NX420 and Orbi AX4200:
1. Restore printer to factory default settings.
2. On one laptop: deleted printer drivers then reinstalled driver (we downloaded online) like installing for the first time.
3. Continue setting up wifi connection with a temporary USB cable.
4. Done. Other devices can print like there was no issue.

Credit to https://community.netgear.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/396301

Message 10 of 13
Gm4n
Aspirant

You can remove USB cable when setup is done. You should be able to print through the wifi after that.
Message 11 of 13
rychder
Tutor

Thank you for your suggestions. As it turns out, I decided to purchase a new Brother printer. After installation, it worked immediately with the Orbi network. So all is well in my printer world.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7