Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RB850 Wifi connected devices get diffrent ip subdomain plex

Smurf_paul
Aspirant

Orbi RB850 Wifi connected devices get diffrent ip subdomain plex

Ok so I have an interesting problem. The current setup, 2 satelights and the base. The base is in Router mode, connected to a fiber modem/router.

The base is connected to a network switch.

The Base is set to use the 192. 168 . 0  range wifi is on .

The modem is set to use the 192.168 1 range (only device is the base), wifi is off.

Everything connected to the switch, or wired to the base or satelights works perfectly. We have a plex server running, wired to the swicth. Every device can connect and its setup so remote can access the server.

Now every wifi device, connects, to the orbi system, but it gets a ip on the modem ip range, and thus cant see the other devices, as they are on a diffrent sub net.  Cant work out why wifi devices get ip from modem, and wired get ip from orbi, when the only wifi is the orbi?

`

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RB850 Wifi connected devices get diffrent ip subdomain plex

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Option #1 is preferred. 

Message 2 of 9
Smurf_paul
Aspirant

The router cant be bridged 😞 ALL the radios are off on the router,  the exposed host is set to the base orbi, along with a static ip.

Everything wired works, perfectly, but any wifi device that wants to talk to a wired connection, goes via the internet port ip.

Which means things like plex, every wifi device it see's as a remote device rather than a local one, but only for the wifi devices connected to the orbi system.

The only connection to the router, is the network cable to the orbi. Everything else is on the orbi side.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

That seems odd, if ALL wifi on the modem is OFF fully, and you set up the DMZ or IP passthru on the modem for the RBR. ALL wifi devices connected to the RBR or RBS should be getting a 192.168.1.something address from the RBR and communicating on the RBR side of the network. 

Is uPnP disabled on the modem? 

I would try this to help narrow this down. Remove the DMZ configuration on the ISP modem and configure the RBR for AP mode. This will set the modem and main host router only and everything will get an IP address from the modem however wired and wireless should connect on the one modem network. 

Message 4 of 9
Smurf_paul
Aspirant

1st off UPnP is on on the RBK, if i run the RBK in ap mode then the router cpu, max's out. Thats one of the reasons to spend the almost £1000 GDP on the system.  So it needs to be in Router mode - we have a LOT of devices (at time of typing 22 devices connected, and the isp router just cant handle that many just being connected), where as the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK853) AX6000, handles that many devices with ease.

After a day of testing, I belive I have located the issue. Wifi devices are given a RBK ip, Ethernet devices are given a RBK ip. Ethernet devices that access data on the local lan, are routed correctly, through the switch with the device IP.  Eithernet devices that access the internet acess it through the Lan port IP of the RBK.

Here is the problem, wifi devices data is ALWAYS routed through the Lan port ip, even when connecting to a local RBK IP thats on ethernet.

So for example, Iphone remote desktop app, while connected to wifi. Data path, should be, Iphone -> RBK (or RBS to RBK) -> Network Swicth ->PC. The whole path is local side of the RBK, so the PC should see the IP of the phone, but it sees a data route from the LAN port IP.

ANYTHING on eithernet connected to the switch or direct to the RBK eithernet ports works this way. Seeing the IP of the device, when communcating to a local device.

ANYTHING on wifi, has the data routed with the LAN port IP, instead of the Device IP.

I can take a portable wifi router (have it for hotels), hang it anywhere, switch, RBK, RBS eithernet port, and connect the above phone to that, and of course the correct IP are passed to the local device.

Its a problem with the way the System routes, wifi traffic, always to the Lan port IP.

Which means that any Eithernet device, thinks that every wifi device is actually an internet remote device, and not on the local Lan.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

First off there maybe uPnP on the host upstream router as well. Having two uPnP functions on the network would not be good. 

Not seen my RBR in AP mode with maxed out CPU. Currently running this mode connected to a NG Nighthawk gateway modem. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 6 of 9
Smurf_paul
Aspirant

Its the ISP router that max's out the cpu, not the RBK when the RBK is in ap mode. In Router mode, its fine. No UPnP is only on on the RBK.

Currently the firmware of the RBK is V3.2.11.2.

The Switch is a Allied Telesis  AT-GS950 24 port gigbit, managed switch, in unmanaged mode. (In testing, removing the switch and just using the Ethernet ports on the RBK and RBS's, the same issue happens (so its not the switch).

The orbi is in Router mode. Which it must stay. Its using the wifi backhaul.

The ISP pos router is actually a Huawei HHG2500.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm odd that the ISP modems CPU maxes out if the RBR is in AP mode. Have never seen that before. Would be something with the Modem. There would be uPnP at the modem/router unit as well. 

Does the RBR report seeing v15.25 FW version in it's FW update section? Something you can try. If you see it, you can apply it and I would do a full factory reset afterwards and setup from scratch. Be sure to use the modems DMZ for the RBR since your using both modem and rbr in router modes. 

If nothing else fixes this, I would make contact with NG support about this. You seem to have a odd issue here that maybe they can help you with. Though AP mode should work for you and it does work for me and others. Your ISP modem will be questionable. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@Smurf_paul wrote:

Its a problem with the way the System routes, wifi traffic, always to the Lan port IP.

How very curious.  I agree with FURRYe38 that you should try resetting your Orbi system and start over, in case some errrant past setting is causing this strange LAN routing behavior.

You haven't changed anything in Advanced... Static Routes or VLAN / Bridge Settings, right?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7