Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK353 Keeps Re-Synching

Giobatta
Aspirant

Orbi RBK353 Keeps Re-Synching

Two weeks ago I got an Orbi 353 to replace a mesh system provided by my ISP.

The router and the two satellites run V4.4.1.29 software. 

The router and one of the satellites are installed downstairs and have a solid 5 GHz connection. 

The second satellite is installed upstairs and map shows it is connected to the main router. There is an open air staircase between the router and the router.

The key issue I face is that the upstairs router stays connected for a while and then goes back to sync (blinking white) and blue. This happens anywhere between twice an hour or once every 2-3 hours. Every time this happens the network upstairs hangs for a couple of minutes. 

I have a 600/60 Mbps connection - downstairs I am able to get the full bandwidth while upstairs it slows down to anywhere between 100/60 and 50/40 but my main concern is not the speed - it’s the constant re-synching and the interruptions it causes.

In the app the upstairs satellite usually shows as connected via 2.4 GHz although it sometimes shows as connected on 5 GHz too. When connected the status is always GOOD in green.

Tried changing the 2.4 channel from Auto to 11 or 13 but the re-synching keeps happening. 

Any suggestions??

Many thanks

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK353 Keeps Re-Synching

Who is your ISP?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try swapping RBS with each other to see if the problem remains or follows the one RBS.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

If it continues, turn OFF the RBS, Then remove the disconnected RBS from the RBRs web page entry. 

Bring the RBS to the same room as the RBR and resync the RBS wirelessly. Make sure the front LED turns blue then turns OFF. Might leave it here for a bit to check to see if it remains OFF. 

Message 2 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

The key issue is with the connection stability of one specific satellite. I fail to see how the ISP or the cable to the router could impact that.

What seems to be happening when this resyncing takes place is that the is that the upstairs satellite which is usually connected to the router over 2.4 GHz then tries to switch to 5 GHz and immediately falls back to 2.4.

The place is a medium size apartment so distances are fairly short. Also, the issue is never with the bandwidth I get - I am fine with that. It’s with the continuous re-synching
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give feedback to the questions presented. Please try the suggestions to see if anything changes the one RBS behavior.

The more information and feedback you give the best we can know what maybe happening and better help you out. 

Thank you. 

Message 4 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

My ISP is Bezeq using a 600/60 GPON fiber connection and the RBK is connected via an Adtran SDX611 ONT using the cable that came with the RBK.

Apartment is 1300 SqFt, downstairs satellite is about 12 feet from the router and working fine. Upstairs satellite is about 30 feet from router with open staircase with concrete structure.

Tried swapping the satellites and the issue remains upstairs.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So 12 feet is TOO close between the one RBS and the RBR. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Turn OFF this closer RBS and see if the other RBS at 30 feet will correct correctly. Maybe more it 5 feet closer to the RBR.

If you swapped RBS locations with each other and the problem didn't follow then there is a possible interference issue at this remote location. 

For that size of home you only need the RBR and maybe 1 RBS. I'd even turn down the power on the RBR to 50% as well. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback 🙏

The downstairs satellite is there to provide wired ports for appliances that do not support Wi-Fi.

I now moved it to about 18 feet away from the router.

Is there a way to lower power in a specific satellite?

Your suggestion to reduce power in the RBR - would it not affect its capability to reach upstairs? 

Also - I see that power can be managed separately for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Do you suggest I reduce it for both?

Again - many thanks for your support 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Regardless if your using the closer RBS for just wired connections, there is wifi still being broadcast and having too much wifi over lap between the RBR and RBS and devices can cause problems. 

I would first turn OFF the closer RBS to ensure that the other remote RBS is syncing fully and doesn't continue to re-sync and blink all the time. 

You can only change the power on the RBR which will cause the RBS to change there power levels as well. Can only be done on the RBR.

Yes reduce both.

Message 8 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

Will do. Thank you VERY much for all feedback
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

Just fainted to follow up and say that since I moved the downstairs satellite further away from the router the connection to the upstairs satellites has switched from 2.4 to 5 GHz and it’s seems quite steady - have not seen any sync events yet.

Thank again 🙏
Message 11 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

fainted = wanted (iPhone auto correct creativity)
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Giobatta wrote:
Just fainted to follow up and say that since I moved the downstairs satellite further away from the router the connection to the upstairs satellites has switched from 2.4 to 5 GHz and it’s seems quite steady - have not seen any sync events yet.

Thank again 🙏

Message 13 of 15
Giobatta
Aspirant

After one day of what I thought was stable performance we are back at re-synching 🙁

Since switching power to 50% I started seeing POOR in the upstairs backhaul status - never saw that before.

Powering off the downstairs satellite has not helped either.

The weirdest thing is that in default mode the satellites seem to provide great coverage (good bandwidth and GOOD backhaul status) - except for the recurring resynching when upstairs goes offline for a couple of minutes.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@Giobatta wrote:

Thanks for the feedback 🙏

The downstairs satellite is there to provide wired ports for appliances that do not support Wi-Fi.

I now moved it to about 18 feet away from the router. <Is this still at this distance and location? If so, this is still to close between the RBR and this one RBS. I would turn this RBS OFF and then raise the transmit power back to 100% on the RBR. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7